PDA

View Full Version : So is 50mb now traffic managed ?

pazor
22-10-2009, 20:05
Hi all.

Started last night speed went from 5836kbps for about 1gb then down to 486kbps.
Same tonight and this morning. Have been onto my newsdemon who i use and they looked at my account did some tests and say there is nothing wrong here it must be your ISP.

Can anyone confirm ?

Its a bit strange how my speed always drops to 486kbps

Matt-08
22-10-2009, 20:06
There is no traffic management currently in place on the 50Mbps service.

pazor
22-10-2009, 20:07
Well maybe someone in VM control centre just change there minds because everything points the finger at them

NoKnowledge
22-10-2009, 20:14
There website is all over the place - if there is no traffic management, they should update their site.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208

Unlimited1 downloads
1Acceptable Use Policy applies. Traffic Management operates from 4pm to 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure a consistent user experience.

martyh
22-10-2009, 20:18
There website is all over the place - if there is no traffic management, they should update their site.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208

you have misunderstood that advert
it is a advert for broadband in general not specifically for 50mb
there is no traffic management on 50mb

Quiet_news
22-10-2009, 20:52
50mb is in no way managed.

Peter_
22-10-2009, 20:56
Try reading this and look at the 50Mb line which shows no Traffic Management http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

AbyssUnderground
22-10-2009, 21:24
Where were you downloading from? Maybe the other end has a cap in place. Try downloading from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com instead and see what happens after 1GB.

Kolara78
22-10-2009, 21:28
Look,mate there is no respect to the virgin costumers.I should have 10MB.speed but look at this-http://www.speedtest.net/result/599870824.png They just can't provide us (normal)speed.The decision is if you want good speed-pay on BT or someone else and you can have it.Virgin are not-very correct company.My one contract expire after 5 month's and...BANG to someone else.There is no another way to make them give us what we paying for.:cool:

Kymmy
22-10-2009, 21:31
Look,mate there is no respect to the virgin costumers.I should have 10MB.speed but look at this-http://www.speedtest.net/result/599870824.png They just can't provide us (normal)speed.The decision is if you want good speed-pay on BT or someone else and you can have it.Virgin are not-very correct company.My one contract expire after 5 month's and...BANG to someone else.There is no another way to make them give us what we paying for.:cool:

Can people please stay on topic..i.e.. 50Mb and traffic management

AbyssUnderground
22-10-2009, 21:31
Have you even tried to get it fixed? There is always a reason for problems, and most of the time it's a bad signal level. Post your signal levels here and we can tell you if they are the problem or not. If you won't help yourself, nobody can help you.

Sephiroth
22-10-2009, 21:52
If we shared tracert information to the same web site from the Manchester environs, maybe we can find the bottlenceck. i.e. Is Ashton now suffering the Manchester student issue?

Pazor could start by posting a tracert to BBC.CO.UK/News (which won't be a cached page).

Do others agree or is it a dead end? I'm trying to see where nodes converge.

Bricktop
22-10-2009, 21:54
download 3 files at once from http://ftp.ticklers.org/debian-cd/5.0.3/i386/iso-dvd and then add up the total speed.

AbyssUnderground
22-10-2009, 22:01
If we shared tracert information to the same web site from the Manchester environs, maybe we can find the bottlenceck. i.e. Is Ashton now suffering the Manchester student issue?

Pazor could start by posting a tracert to BBC.CO.UK/News (which won't be a cached page).

Do others agree or is it a dead end? I'm trying to see where nodes converge.

You can't tracert to a folder, it has to be the domain only, so you can't do /news. Caching shouldn't matter anyway.

Sephiroth
22-10-2009, 22:09
So the suggestion (minus /news) is sound?

Peter_
22-10-2009, 22:10
So the suggestion (minus /news) is sound?
Perfectly

pazor
22-10-2009, 22:54
I think it just sounds fishy if things have been working great until last night and the way the download drops in a split second to the same speed every time 486kbps. And after chatting to the Newsdeamon online 24hr help they advised im on a unlimted connection. Just seems weird that i was having problems with rapidshare so i left went to newsgroups all has been fine and now im having problems with that.

bomber_g
23-10-2009, 10:45
Id go with the previous suggestion of download a file bigger than 1 gb from somehere else, maybe filefront as they have game demos and things, and see if the same thing happens.

pazor
23-10-2009, 11:13
Strange thing is no when i download a file from virgins game demo they come down at full speed.
Im just sick of problems with my VM connection, it seems everytime i think its sorted somthing else happens, it seems to me that VM are slowing my newsgroup downloads and before they was stoping my rapidshare downloads.

Mick Fisher
23-10-2009, 11:20
There is Giganews, Astraweb and Highwinds. All other News providers are RESELLERS. They mostly resell Highwinds products which are flaky at best.

The other thing to bear in mind is that said reseller buys a block of gigs from Highwinds hoping to make a profit on it. To attract users he sells an unlimited package but fails to figure 50meg connections in his calculations. So realising too late that 50meggers are going to have an adverse effect on his expected wages packet the reseller throttles the 50meggers connection and then blames it on the 50meggers ISP.

bomber_g
23-10-2009, 11:34
I've asked someone in the know about the specifics with traffic shaping etc on 50 meg, if I find anything interesting I'll post it.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Apparently the project to put in place traffic shaping for specific services - eg Torrents, P2P, was canned and isn't in place on any of VM's services.

traffic shaping works by average download rates over 15 minute periods, so your quite likely to break the rules if you don't manage the traffic at your end.

also, no there isn't a traffic shaping scheme on the new UBR's (yet) so 50 meg is not being managed.

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 11:45
I've asked someone in the know about the specifics with traffic shaping etc on 50 meg, if I find anything interesting I'll post it.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

Apparently the project to put in place traffic shaping for specific services - eg Torrents, P2P, was canned and isn't in place on any of VM's services.

traffic shaping works by average download rates over 15 minute periods, so your quite likely to break the rules if you don't manage the traffic at your end.

also, no there isn't a traffic shaping scheme on the new UBR's (yet) so 50 meg is not being managed.

Most 20mb customers are on the new UBRs and they are managed.

I'd be careful on what information you post on the forums mate. Insider information is just that.

No offence or aggression meant.

bomber_g
23-10-2009, 12:38
Fair enough - I guess I heard wrong =)

It's not really insider information that their not traffic shaping 50 meg yet, it's openly advertised as far as I know - I was told it's due to the amount of bandwidth available on the new routers, so I assumed the 20 meg customers would get the same . I just wanted to check and confirm stuff for the OP as he is probably getting managed in some way by his newsgroup provider, rather than Virgin

Quiet_news
23-10-2009, 12:55
Fair enough - I guess I heard wrong =)

It's not really insider information that their not traffic shaping 50 meg yet, it's openly advertised as far as I know - I was told it's due to the amount of bandwidth available on the new routers, so I assumed the 20 meg customers would get the same . I just wanted to check and confirm stuff for the OP as he is probably getting managed in some way by his newsgroup provider, rather than Virgin

:cool:

No, I think the idea is you cant traffic shape one lot of 20mb customers and not the other.

50mb will not doubt be managed at some point, but thats only my opinion I don't know for sure :)

bomber_g
23-10-2009, 13:01
As far as I know all providers put something in their contracts with residential customers something along the lines of

'we can do what we like and you can't really complain because nothing in this world is guaranteed' lol

:)

I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens with the 50 meg service

Kymmy
23-10-2009, 13:22
FYI... If you look at the STM trials you'll see again that 50Mb is STM free (just follow the location links at the bottom of the traffic management page)