PDA

View Full Version : Issues in Luton/Stevenage?

bongman_uk
22-10-2009, 01:07
Hi all

I posted on the VM NG's about intermittent connectivity last night. Weirdly, at one point the ready light was still flashing but I had full connectivity to the internet!

Anyway I was assured there were no issues. but as it was checked later in the day after the problem resolved itself, I wouldnt expect them to find a problem.

Anyway. Its gone again (At work at the moment). And I cannot get mine or my mates home computers to ping.

As Subject, Are tehre any issues in Luton/Stevenage?

Cheers

Bongman

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Looks like it's just come back. I have a script that automatically repairs the connection if some NTL/VM servers are not pingable.

And gone again. Less than five mins :(

Peter_
22-10-2009, 06:27
Post your power levels as they show an issue.

Kymmy
22-10-2009, 08:00
No problems at al here in Luton/Flitwick..

azcomposer
22-10-2009, 18:14
Hi all

I posted on the VM NG's about intermittent connectivity last night. Weirdly, at one point the ready light was still flashing but I had full connectivity to the internet!

Anyway I was assured there were no issues. but as it was checked later in the day after the problem resolved itself, I wouldnt expect them to find a problem.

Anyway. Its gone again (At work at the moment). And I cannot get mine or my mates home computers to ping.

As Subject, Are tehre any issues in Luton/Stevenage?

Cheers

Bongman

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Looks like it's just come back. I have a script that automatically repairs the connection if some NTL/VM servers are not pingable.

And gone again. Less than five mins :(

2 days running. I leave my house at 8:30 with my internet intact.

I log on remotely to my PC from work, and it works fine. Then I lose connection and cannot connect until I get home.

It's been like this for 2 days, and I am in Stevenage.

bongman_uk
03-11-2009, 14:27
Hi All

Sorry I havnt been about. The issue had disappeared and I've been busy.

However this afternoon its happened again. I am posting this with the ready light flashing on my modem!!!!

Signal levels appear fine :

Downstream SNR : 40.1 dB
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.2 dBmV
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.8 dBmV

Regards

Bongman

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Some more on this :

This all seemed to start happening shortly after the UBR upgrade (?) recently. I was told that VM had upgraded the URB's to allow for 50mb and had moved all 20mb customers to these new/upgraded UBR's (I have no idea how true this is)

All I know is, shortly after the IP change a few months back, we (other 20mb users in Stevenage) have been experiencing problems we have never seen before (I have been a cable customer for about 10 years!)

1. Ready light flashes (like when there is a fault on the VM network) but sometimes you still have internet access
2. When ready light goes out completely, you lose all connectivity as expected. But when the modem later picks up a signal, re-syncs and reconnects. You have to perform a refresh/renew on the connected NIC (or reboot your router) to regain connectivity from/to your network. You never used to have to do this.

I think #2 is what azcomposer is referring to.

azcomposer
03-11-2009, 15:08
I have lost connection to my PC at home, about 1 hour ago. What a surprise!

I am in Stevenage SG2 area.

This is getting annoying...

Ian-Highlander
04-11-2009, 10:56
Also in Stevenage and also been experiencing exactly the same issues for a few weeks now, it was rock solid before that with not a single issue in months.

I regularly remote into my pc's at home and have also watched the damn thing die unable to get back in until I can shoot home at lunch time and reboot the modem.

Annoying doesn't quite seem to do it justice...

azcomposer
05-11-2009, 13:16
Seems to be back to normal, but for how long? And as Ian-H says, I have had to go home and reboot everything. OK, not that far, but maybe I didn't want to go home just to reboot stuff which should be stable.

Now, the question is, is it the equipment at the house, the cabinet, or the Virgin systems?

Ignitionnet
05-11-2009, 13:37
1. Ready light flashes (like when there is a fault on the VM network) but sometimes you still have internet access
2. When ready light goes out completely, you lose all connectivity as expected. But when the modem later picks up a signal, re-syncs and reconnects. You have to perform a refresh/renew on the connected NIC (or reboot your router) to regain connectivity from/to your network. You never used to have to do this.

I think #2 is what azcomposer is referring to.

#1 Seems to be a firmware bug in the modems, they don't like having their downstream frequency changed.

#2 Affects me on 50Mbit as well, most annoying. I'm not sure why this is the case but speculate that the modems don't want to talk to our kit until they've seen a DHCP transaction from it after a loss of connectivity.

These are likely all fixable via a modem update or a CMTS firmware update - are you connected via a Motorola BSR or via a Cisco 10k? if you aren't sure post the first 3 numbers in your IP address and I'll tell you.

Cheers.

Rik
05-11-2009, 14:26
I lost connectivity briefly earlier today.
Released/Renewed Router IP and all was fine 10 secs later.

Hemel Hempstead.