PDA

View Full Version : Blocked Ports on Virgin Media

FunkyBums
20-10-2009, 15:36
I am not sure if this is my computer or not but I am trying to register with Ning and I can't. I can't even reply to a blog on a network that I am.

Is there any specific port that Virgin Media blocks and if so, how can I solve this.

Regards

bomber_g
20-10-2009, 15:38
try doing a tcp trace on the port you are trying to use - see where it bombs out

http://michael.toren.net/code/tcptraceroute/

Horace
20-10-2009, 18:05
Ning is a social networking site - probably a standard web 2.0 thing. You shouldn't need to open any ports for it and certainly none of the very few that VM block would affect your use of the server.

bomber_g
21-10-2009, 17:12
the only ports blocked on most UBR's are the netbios ports for obvious reasons - other than than port 73232 and a couple of others may still be blocked due to past viruses like msblast and the like, although they haven't been around for years.

it's basically down to the config of the router you are on though, so if you find traffic isn't going over on a port that you think shouldn't be blocked - call tech support and ask them to pass ticket to 2nd line to get it checked

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Ning is a social networking site - probably a standard web 2.0 thing. You shouldn't need to open any ports for it and certainly none of the very few that VM block would affect your use of the server.

i didn't know this :) sounds like it's a problem with the machine then i guess

webcrawler2050
21-10-2009, 17:28
Whats the error with Ning you are getting when trying to register?