PDA

View Full Version : Why did I agree to a 'Free' upgrade, now no BB access

Super Josh
20-10-2009, 12:06
Hi Guys,

First post, so please be gentle :)

'Phoned VM last Friday to have a whinge about my tariff and to order a V+ box. Chap said that they would also upgrade me to the 20 meg service, hurrah.

I currently access my BB through a Samsung STB and they said that they would post me a new modem for me to self-install. I said that this would be a bad idea as I only have one cable that goes to the STB, so would need a splitter and probably the split lines would each need checking and individual attenuators fitting. No problem, the technician will install the CM when he installs the V+ box.

Then the problems started, they performed the 20 Meg upgrade and obviously my STB couldn't handle the new config and I was then without BB.

Several calls to faults and then CS and they eventually downgraded me back to 10 Meg. This was the problem, my Samsung smt-2100c can't handle 10 meg either (Can anyone confirm the max speed of the Samsung STB? I thought it was 2 meg?). I was upgraded a while ago to 10 meg, but because it required a stand alone CM I never took the offer, even though I am billed for 10 meg.

So the upshot was that because the 2 meg M package is no longer offered, neither faults or CS were able to apply it to my account saying that the code is 'locked' out of the system to stop people applying it accidentally and that only retentions have the ability to apply it and they are now closed until Monday morning, Aaaaargh.

Spoke with retentions on Monday and the Guy is adamant that I have never had 2 Meg and that the 10 Meg that I am billed for has been applied to my account and STB. I argued that can't be the case as the STB hardware won't support that speed but he still wouldn't apply the 2 meg code saying it wouldn't sort out my problem.

Then we changed tack and I thought cut my loses and get them to post out the CM, with a splitter and I'll self-install it and take my chances until the tech installs the V+. 'No, can't do that Sir as a CM has been ordered to be installed by the tech when he installs the V+'. So just cancel that part and post me the modem, arghhh.

So I'm now between a rock and a hard place, they won't post out a modem (which I'm not convinced will work properly without someone measuring the power levels and fitting the right attenuator) and they won't send a 2 Meg configuration to my STB.

Sorry for the long rant first post. But what should I do Guys

Cheers,

Josh

Stuart
20-10-2009, 13:18
Actually, I used to have 10 meg and a Samsung STB. The box just slows the connection down to around 6 or 7 meg.

graf_von_anonym
20-10-2009, 19:04
Do you know if you connect through what used to be Telewest or what used to be NTL? If it's the former, then you're stuck until the modem has been installed, and I'd recommend waiting for the technician. The ex-Telewest platform doesn't support anything other than legacy STB broadband connections. The codes can't be put back on accounts, not even by retentions, because they don't exist within the provisioning system. Those that are there already work, but they can't put them back on if they get taken off.

If you're ex-NTL then don't worry about that part. I suspect that whatever Retentions have said is what they've perceived as the case, probably on the basis of misinterpretation of package codes. These things happen.

As regards getting you out of this mess, when is your V+ install scheduled?

It usually takes two to three days for a replacement modem to arrive. If one were sent out to you seperately odds are the tech bringing your V+ box would also bring you a modem, which wouldn't be too much of a problem but is a bit of a book-keeping nightmare. The way the systems work, removing the modem from what he is bringing you isn't impossible, but it is a pain.

So, two options, depending on how long you have to wait - the first is wait, let the tech sort it out if he's coming in the next two to three days. The second is to phone up and ask someone to send you a modem, explaining that you'd like to get back online as soon as possible. Now, odds on you won't get a splitter unless they send you what is usually refered to as the 'quick start consumables' pack, so you'd be looking at getting telly or internet but not both, until the technician arrived.

As for how all this came about, it's probably just the usual mixture of pressurised staff making a mistake due to inattention, with the added bonus of a connection type that's now vanishingly rare among the user base. Either that or the formless beast-man pressed into service at the telephonic mill was not fed the requisite quantity of mica, resulting in lowered cognitive response. Doubtless the robotic overseers will rectify that situation with their ceaselessly whirring motor-shovels, or he will be forced to challenge to single combat and then best his nearest colleague, for to feast upon his fallen comrade's stony exo-skeleton, crying loudly to the heavens in triumph.

AndyCambs
20-10-2009, 19:45
I believe it was only C&W part of NTL that used the STB as internet modems.

Tech_Boy
20-10-2009, 20:03
I believe it was only C&W part of NTL that used the STB as internet modems.
No, both NTL & Telewest provided broadband through set top boxes, the ex TW method would just activate the connection, but the Ex NTL method needed you to "provision" the PC/routers mac address against the STB.;)

Super Josh
21-10-2009, 08:59
Graf thanks very much for your detailed explanation and funny closing paragraph :) That all makes sense, now that you have explained it from the 'other side' so to speak.

So rather than go through the hassle of getting the CM shipped out separately, probably without a splitter and causing even more grief, I think that I'll wait for the tech to install my V+ box. Which means no BB for the next couple of weeks until 7th November.

I'm an ex C&W/NTL customer, hence the STB BB access. Tech boy is right, the PC/Router MAC address has to be 'provisioned' against the STB, they allow you up to 5 MACs.

Still going from 2 Meg to 20 Meg should show a decent jump in speed. :D

Josh

graf_von_anonym
21-10-2009, 16:20
When you do get your broadband back up on the 7th, phone customer services and advise them that you were without your broadband due to a mistake on Virgin Media's part. You'll usually get a credit back for that period. While it's pretty likely that you'd rather have had a working internet connection, a tenner or so off your bill is better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

bbxxl
21-10-2009, 17:04
They said they would give me a tenner off my bill - just got my bill through and they've added it!

Still no internet either....

webcrawler2050
21-10-2009, 17:05
They said they would give me a tenner off my bill - just got my bill through and they've added it!

So you've said..

bbxxl
21-10-2009, 17:25
So you've said..

Yes, but no one is reading my thread - I posted here just to get a response and prove to myself that I am not invisible....

Thank you :)

webcrawler2050
21-10-2009, 17:26
Yes, but no one is reading my thread - I posted here just to get a response and prove to myself that I am not invisible....

Thank you :)

Well theres nothing no one can say to help - other than "keep trying"

Jules
21-10-2009, 19:08

So you have come across the old "if it isn't broken" etc. Got to admire their cheek though adding the tenner instead of taking it off lol.

Super Josh
22-10-2009, 09:15
Well, when I got home last night I had a 'we tried to deliver' notification from UPS. Not having ordered anything I went off to their depot to pick up the parcel.

Still none the wiser, opened it up and, low and behold, a shiny cable modem and PSU :D

No splitter cable though :(

Rushed home and unplugged the STB and connected up the new SACM.

Rebooted the router and checked that we had an IP address :)

Thought that I would try some net access and received the 'Activation' page, advising to call the registration number :)

On the 'phone to registration and after being cut off, finally got everything set up an hour later.

A few reboots later and back on the PC to finish off the registration and set up password etc. :)

So it's all working except that I still have one strange problem that I thought you experienced Chaps may be able to throw some light on?

If I open a browser and try to navigate to a page by either selecting a bookmark or typing an address in to the address bar I receive the registration redirection link that then says that I have completed registration and then, using an HTTPS link, takes me to the dashboard 'My Virgin' page.

But if I launch a browser by clicking on , say, a link in a Email. It launched the browser and takes me directly to the relevant web page

So it's limiting the type of web page that I can open at the moment, any ideas Guys?

Spoke with CS who are going to send out a splitter cable. :)

Cheers,

Josh

webcrawler2050
22-10-2009, 10:40
Well, when I got home last night I had a 'we tried to deliver' notification from UPS. Not having ordered anything I went off to their depot to pick up the parcel.

Still none the wiser, opened it up and, low and behold, a shiny cable modem and PSU :D

No splitter cable though :(

Rushed home and unplugged the STB and connected up the new SACM.

Rebooted the router and checked that we had an IP address :)

Thought that I would try some net access and received the 'Activation' page, advising to call the registration number :)

On the 'phone to registration and after being cut off, finally got everything set up an hour later.

A few reboots later and back on the PC to finish off the registration and set up password etc. :)

So it's all working except that I still have one strange problem that I thought you experienced Chaps may be able to throw some light on?

If I open a browser and try to navigate to a page by either selecting a bookmark or typing an address in to the address bar I receive the registration redirection link that then says that I have completed registration and then, using an HTTPS link, takes me to the dashboard 'My Virgin' page.

But if I launch a browser by clicking on , say, a link in a Email. It launched the browser and takes me directly to the relevant web page

So it's limiting the type of web page that I can open at the moment, any ideas Guys?

Spoke with CS who are going to send out a splitter cable. :)

Cheers,

Josh

Sounds like your machine is caching.

clear temporary internet files etc.

Super Josh
22-10-2009, 11:29
Ah, thanks for the suggestion Webcrawler :) That makes sense, I'll clear the cache down this evening.

Josh

webcrawler2050
22-10-2009, 11:33
Ah, thanks for the suggestion Webcrawler :) That makes sense, I'll clear the cache down this evening.

Josh

No problems mate - let us know how you get on?

Super Josh
23-10-2009, 11:45
Well I cleared ou the browser's cache last night and did a little bit more investigation.

The problem is only with trying to launch google (either .co.uk or .com). All other web sites launch okay but trying google always takes me to the page with the registartion redirection link on it!!!!

If I do an nslookup on google and then just put in the IP address in to the browser then it launches okay.

Anyone have any ideas, cause it's got me stumped.

Josh

SnoopZ
23-10-2009, 13:44

Josh

http://www.ccleaner.com/ is a great little app for doing that, and it's free.

Matth
23-10-2009, 21:13
If you have a router, have you reset that?
DNS proxying by some routers can have odd effects, also, test to make sure you have full speed - if you only have 1 megabit, then the modem configuration has not completed.

webcrawler2050
23-10-2009, 22:00
Well I cleared ou the browser's cache last night and did a little bit more investigation.

The problem is only with trying to launch google (either .co.uk or .com). All other web sites launch okay but trying google always takes me to the page with the registartion redirection link on it!!!!

If I do an nslookup on google and then just put in the IP address in to the browser then it launches okay.

Anyone have any ideas, cause it's got me stumped.

Josh

hmmmm - are you an ex NTL Customer?

Super Josh
26-10-2009, 08:45
If you have a router, have you reset that?
DNS proxying by some routers can have odd effects, also, test to make sure you have full speed - if you only have 1 megabit, then the modem configuration has not completed.

Matt, yes reset my router and checked download speed and it's around 16meg and I'm on the 20meg service. So looks like the config must have completed successfully

hmmmm - are you an ex NTL Customer?

Hi Webcrawler, yep ex NTL. Does that give you some clues then?

Cheers,

Josh