PDA

View Full Version : Installation on Wednesday... Amazed already!

sj985
19-10-2009, 18:25
Hi,

Have an installation booked for Wed 21/10. Just came home from work and have noticed there is a nice coil of coax poking out of the ground and a brown VM omnibox sitting snugly up against the corner of my house! :shocking:

As I have never had VM installed in any of my houses, can anyone tell me if this is normal? I've heard some quite unbelievable stories about installs but I am actually quite amazed at VM's efficiency!

The only thing I would moan about I suppose, is that out the front of my house there is mainly pea shingle, slate and no lawn whatsoever. There is a black 'canvas' like material (something to do with waterproofing maybe?) and whoever has laid this cable today appears to have just run the cable under the canvas....

Has anyone experienced anything like this? To be frank, I don't think I can be naffed to argue with them about it - when I finally do my front garden, I guess I can bury it then....

Any thoughts on the above?

Si

nodrogd
19-10-2009, 23:03
This is normal. The external cable from the street cab is installed first, and the rest done on installation day. However the cable through the garden should be protected in a green conduit and buried. If its not this should be queried.

sj985
20-10-2009, 09:05
Thanks for the reply...

Well I'm not going to kick like a mule just yet, as the installation is due tomorrow, maybe the cable pullers may come back today to lay the cable underground in its relevant conduit?

If so, happy days! If not, then I'll probably query it on Wednesday....

sj985
21-10-2009, 17:36
--- UPDATE ---

Well I didn't kick up a fuss about the cable not being buried / placed in conduit. But here's the good news!!

The VM Tech turned up at 12:00 today, happily followed my requests for service points to the letter. Broadband/Phone in one corner of the house, TV in the other and he even used the old holes that Sky had used!! Everything was very neat and I have been given extra long cables too!

Installation for all three services took no more than an hour, the V+ HD box works a treat (although wasn't Samsung :rolleyes:) and my broadband actually runs at 10mbps - FINALLY I AM GETTING WHAT I PAY FOR !!

All in all, a very happy Virgin Media customer! :D

jungleguy
21-10-2009, 21:11
Must have good workers in Norwich, shame about the Radio......Alan Partridge.

sj985
21-10-2009, 21:13
Must have good workers in Norwich, shame about the Radio......Alan Partridge.

Ha...the guy's a legend!

Feenix
27-10-2009, 23:18
We try our best out here in the sticks :)