PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Vigin media - Repair needs doing outside of house first

lardenr
18-10-2009, 19:56
Hi, I was due to have my virgin services installed on Saturday (17th Oct).

On Friday, a pre-installation of 2 men came to the door to ask if it was ok to drill through the wall, to lay the cable through, ready for the installation on the Saturday. Which they done, very tidely, they had dug a small channel, and tarmac'd over, and left the rest of the cable in our garden ready for Saturday. Also on Friday evening approx 4:00, we also had a message left on our answer phone to say that all was going ahead for the installation on the next day, and our slot was between the hours of 1:00 and 6:00pm.

Anway, saturday came, no-one turned up. I left it until 5:30, and then decided to ring Customer services. The lady on there said that there was a note on my account, saying that the installers had found a problem outside the house, and some digging needed to be done, so this had to be rescheduled. I had not though been informed of this, and no note had been put through the door. Someone is supposed to ring me back on Monday.

What she has told me is supposed to be missing is the tube that goes from the CATV man hole to the socket to my house. She had tried to contact the area manager for my area(Bexley) but didn't have any luck, so had to send a priority email.

My question is this, how long does something like this take to correct?. I have been put off in the past only now to go ahead with this, and found a barrier in my way.

Thanks

Pierre
19-10-2009, 12:57
If you've no "T" outsiode your property and one has to be put in, it could be a couple of weeks or more.

lardenr
19-10-2009, 15:35
Thanks for replying.

I hope that is the case, and doesn't take any longer. What I'm concerned about is keep having to chase people up to get work done. We orginally years ago tried to get cable and wireless installed. When the engineers turned up, apparently the cable had been squashed by the Gas company, and they couldn't install. So after months of chasing up about this, I gave up, and went with ondigital(before it went bust!) I hope that Virgin is better than these are.

Richard

webcrawler2050
19-10-2009, 16:33
Thanks for replying.

I hope that is the case, and doesn't take any longer. What I'm concerned about is keep having to chase people up to get work done. We orginally years ago tried to get cable and wireless installed. When the engineers turned up, apparently the cable had been squashed by the Gas company, and they couldn't install. So after months of chasing up about this, I gave up, and went with ondigital(before it went bust!) I hope that Virgin is better than these are.

Richard

Well they have done "the majority" of the work so they shouldn't walk away from it now as VM will be at a loss for a fair while. Keep chasing, I know it's a hassle..

lardenr
20-10-2009, 12:48
Thanks, I think I may end up doing this.

Anyway, its started. Day 1: Contact Vrgin media at 7:00 as someone was supposed to call me yesterday about this construction to happen. Went through to India. My password wasn't accepted first of all, which I have used all the time up until now. After explaining the problem, and then looking at my notes, a big queue was on for the installation department, I was told that I would have a call back. Surprise surprise, no-one did. They have both my home and mobile number. Will contact back in a couple of days, perhaps I'm pre-empting problems!

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

Update:

Just had virgin media turn up outside our house. They cut the cable in our garden for the time being, as looks unsightly!

My wife went out to question them, as they didn't knock on the door first. They have told us the the conduit or plugs in the next road has smashed and that this is always happening. Caused by electric/gas company!!!!

So what happens now? and how long would I have to wait to get this done? Would I be looking at getting this done, this side of Christmas?

TheFantabulator
02-11-2009, 23:16
From personal experience with VM cable installations in Suffolk and Essex, I have had no problems. The engineers have arrived when they said they would and have always done a tidy job.

When we transferred our VM service to Colchester, they could not initially hook us up directly to their main street cable so we were temporarily hooked up via the neighbour's wall box. About a week later, two guys dug a small hole in the pavement and ran a new cable up our drive into the wall box. Job done!

lardenr
03-11-2009, 13:39
Which it was as simple as that.

I have now had an email from Virgin stating that I can't get fibre optic broadband installed as the layout of my street is not right. We also have 7 metre's of track missing as well, so it's not cost effective as the street will have to be dug up. Sounds to be like when this was done, they ran out of the track as thought "sod it" and covered it in, as we do actually have a CATV cover outside our house on the road!