PDA

View Full Version : When did Virgin change the ADSL Costs and Caps?

BonyTony
17-10-2009, 10:18
I Have been an ADSL customer for the past year and always paid £10 per month,any downloads I do are started after midnight and are finished before 8am. Service is ok but terrible at tea times every day of the week:td:.

I just my new bill and its now £15 :shocked: i popped along to the Virgin website http://virgin.net/allyours/bbandphone/index.html?buspart=buyat and I see the packages have changed, when I signed up it was unlimited (i know it was capped) but now they have solid limits on!.

My question is where do I stand, is my old contract valid or do i have to accept a price rise and a solid download limit?.

Oh and if the answers are yes can I get out of my contract with them?

I have tried calling them but they keep saying the system is down.

BenMcr
17-10-2009, 11:50
Without prior notification of a price change your original price should stand

Chris
17-10-2009, 12:04
I've been on the Virgin.net up to 8Mb for a few years now. It's just under £15 and has no hard cap. There's supposed to be STM on it as far as I know but I've never managed to trigger it, despite occasionally downloading rather a lot. I've just had a look back over my old emails from them and all I have, apart from monthly direct debit notices, is a change in T&Cs last April that was to do with notice periods and charges for cancellation.

So, I don't think they have tried to force old customers onto new packages. If they have done that to you, you need to call them to get it rectified. Take no messing off them - the first CSR you speak to will claim it's impossible to put you back on an obsolete tariff even if you were moved off it in error. You will need to get to talk to a manager to have any hope of sorting it IMO.

BenMcr
17-10-2009, 13:06
Of course there may have been a 12 month reduction as part of an offer

Chris
17-10-2009, 13:08
Mmm, there's a good point. Bony me old muckah, when you say you've been a customer 'for the past year' do you mean you've been a customer for exactly a year?

BonyTony
17-10-2009, 13:35
Mmm, there's a good point. Bony me old muckah, when you say you've been a customer 'for the past year' do you mean you've been a customer for exactly a year?

Yes for the past 12 months, I have since managed to get them to check on the system and have now reduced it again to £10 without the solid cap...just going to call them again and ask for it in writing.

Just a note for people thinking of getting Virgin ADSL, forget using iplayer or the like I have been throttled for a week to 56k modem speed quite a few times on all occasions after using iplayer (may be 2 episodes back to back). Now I dare not use any catchup TV from 10am till midnight :( My speed at strange hours is 5meg, from lunch till 11pm about .5 to 1.5meg if i am very lucky.
When I call to complain they say its because of my usage in any one hour?, the Next time I move internet supplier and connectivity will be a big factor.

Welshchris
17-10-2009, 17:36
Yes for the past 12 months, I have since managed to get them to check on the system and have now reduced it again to £10 without the solid cap...just going to call them again and ask for it in writing.

Just a note for people thinking of getting Virgin ADSL, forget using iplayer or the like I have been throttled for a week to 56k modem speed quite a few times on all occasions after using iplayer (may be 2 episodes back to back). Now I dare not use any catchup TV from 10am till midnight :( My speed at strange hours is 5meg, from lunch till 11pm about .5 to 1.5meg if i am very lucky.
When I call to complain they say its because of my usage in any one hour?, the Next time I move internet supplier and connectivity will be a big factor.

This is one of the reasons why my mate has just switched from them. He signed up originally back in 2005 when it was still Virgin net on 512k and then worked his way upto 8mb but his connection was useless, he was getting around 1.8mb at any given time. He has switched over to Talk Talk and is now getting over 5mb most of the time.