PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media - 100% useless

damian78
14-10-2009, 19:25
Once again today (about the 4th time in a couple of months) the broadband in Nottingham has gone down, though it appears to be a National issue this time.

What is it about Virgin Media and being complete incapable of offering a service that actually works?

I've been sat in the queue for the last 30 minutes waiting to speak to one of their imbiciles (sorry, support staff), only to be put back to the start of the queue. I carried on holding for a long time again, only to be cut off.

I called back and went through to billing and requested that I be put direct through to an engineer, he said he'd do this, and put me back in the queue.

I called back again, and got cut off again.

Do not go with virgin media, it's really not worth the hassle.

Matt-08
14-10-2009, 19:29
Unfortunately I am already with them. Fortunately, I haven't had any major problems and I'm very pleased with my services :)

SnoopZ
14-10-2009, 19:34
I'm 100% happy with Virginmedia.

graeme2b
14-10-2009, 19:34
Whats the actual problem my internet has been fine all day and week. I live in Nottingham maybe I can help..

damian78
14-10-2009, 19:38
Whats the actual problem my internet has been fine all day and week. I live in Nottingham maybe I can help..

There just is no internet. power, enet, sync and ready lights are on modem, others aren't even flickering. I've unplugged it, and left it turned off for a few minutes, and done the same with my router. Plugged the modem back in, left it a minute, plugged router back in, still nothing.

Looking on virgin media service status page it says there is a national broadband issue.

P.S. I'm currently using mobile broadband through my mobile phone to post.

Matt-08
14-10-2009, 19:40
Strange that this ticket is titled Loss of Internet, but the description just says loss of e-mail service.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=1103495

Sirius
14-10-2009, 19:42
Once again today (about the 4th time in a couple of months) the broadband in Nottingham has gone down, though it appears to be a National issue this time.

What is it about Virgin Media and being complete incapable of offering a service that actually works?

I've been sat in the queue for the last 30 minutes waiting to speak to one of their imbiciles (sorry, support staff), only to be put back to the start of the queue. I carried on holding for a long time again, only to be cut off.

I called back and went through to billing and requested that I be put direct through to an engineer, he said he'd do this, and put me back in the queue.

I called back again, and got cut off again.

Do not go with virgin media, it's really not worth the hassle.

My service is fine so how can it be National ???

http://www.speedtest.net/result/592199938.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

xocemp
Try the news groups.
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up.php

post in virginmedia.support.broadband

SnoopZ
I can't see any national problem on their status page, it's clear and my broadband has been working fine all day.

[edit]

I now see it says there is a national problem but that's only related to possible loss of email.

xocemp
14-10-2009, 19:48
And so you know matey, CSRs are not able to put you through to techs.

graeme2b
14-10-2009, 19:52
i guess you tried it without the router?

damian78
14-10-2009, 19:53
I've finally got through to someone, very quickly the lights started flashing on the modem so I'm assuming he did something his end and it's now working again.

So maybe not a national issue, but seems to be something from their end still. As I say, it's happened several times recently and is beginning to really pee me off (as you may be able to tell :)).

Thanks for the help guys.

xocemp
14-10-2009, 19:57
You want to post your upstream/downstream power levels also downstream SNR.
One of us can let you know if you have a local RF issue, you may have just had your modem rebooted remotely which could keep you going for a time.

nffc
14-10-2009, 20:27
Mine isn't down, but it was for a bit on Thurs and most of Friday, when I thought most people had issues (well, there was a national outage). Fortunately i have mobile broadband anyway.

damian78
14-10-2009, 20:46
You want to post your upstream/downstream power levels also downstream SNR.
One of us can let you know if you have a local RF issue, you may have just had your modem rebooted remotely which could keep you going for a time.

How can I get them?

Matt-08
14-10-2009, 20:49
How can I get them?

http://192.168.100.1

Login with username and password as "root" if it asks for them.

SnoopZ
14-10-2009, 20:50
http://192.168.100.1/ username/password both 'root'

[edit]

i'm too slow! :)

damian78
14-10-2009, 21:01
Oooh, not seen that before :) Thanks.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 34
Downstream Frequency : 307000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Peter_
14-10-2009, 21:02
Oooh, not seen that before :) Thanks.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 34
Downstream Frequency : 307000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
No issues there spot on.

Easy modem login (http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp)

damian78
14-10-2009, 21:03
Just seen a few critical errors in the event log saying "DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response"

and

"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"

Peter_
14-10-2009, 21:04
Just seen a few critical errors in the event log saying "DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response"

and

"No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"
Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Virgin also disable most of the updates as they are not required so making it look even worse.

damian78
14-10-2009, 21:08
Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Virgin also disable most of the updates as they are not required so making it look even worse.

Ah, ok.

Thanks again for all the help.

Peter_
14-10-2009, 21:13
Ah, ok.

Thanks again for all the help.
If you posted your logs and I did the same the probably would not be much difference.

If you ar e having any issues then contact Tech Support on 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

xocemp
14-10-2009, 21:20
No issues there spot on.

Easy modem login (http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp)

Good man.
The thing to be looking at here would be the return path and modulation of upstream SNR. Where T3 timeouts are concerned it upstream all the way.
If modulation was QPSK then ASM had changed the modulation because of low upstream SNR this would cause T3's.

This isn't a dig, I'm just passing on info to aid in your troubleshooting.
Wait till we get to the D3 stuff ;)

Peter_
15-10-2009, 06:53
Good man.
The thing to be looking at here would be the return path and modulation of upstream SNR. Where T3 timeouts are concerned it upstream all the way.
If modulation was QPSK then ASM had changed the modulation because of low upstream SNR this would cause T3's.

This isn't a dig, I'm just passing on info to aid in your troubleshooting.
Wait till we get to the D3 stuff ;)
Hey I know both you and broadbanding post good stuff as I always read both your posts.

At present I have 4 T3 timeouts over the last 7 days, but the connection looks and feels fine and all my power levels are well within spec, so no real issue unless they are consecutive.;)

Ignitionnet
15-10-2009, 09:50

Ah VM are doing dynamic monitoring and upstream adjustment now.

Interesting I remember some Virgin staffer on another forum wittering on about capacity planning making variable upstream tiers impossible for service quality purposes. I guess having dynamic upstream adjustment that could theoretically slice an upstream in 1/3rd (Assuming VM have finally gotten compliant firmware out to all equipment and network / planning people stop pontificating over DOCSIS 2, and just do it) is fine though.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Hey I know both you and broadbanding post good stuff as I always read both your posts.

At present I have 4 T3 timeouts over the last 7 days, but the connection looks and feels fine and all my power levels are well within spec, so no real issue unless they are consecutive.;)

4 in 7 days is nothing, n00b :p:

T3 Timeouts 270
T4 Timeouts 12

EDIT: Oh sorry, T3 Timeouts 271 ;)