PDA

View Full Version : most bizarre tech visit

candy1567
14-10-2009, 09:44
Hi

After many phone calls due to inconsistant fluctuating speeds on newly installed 50mg, they decided that power levels were to high and i needed an attenuator fitted onto the modem.

Engineer visited yesterday and decided that the levels where fine and that he wasn't goin to fit the attenuator and proceeded to leave, errr....not so fast lol

I asked him to check the speed levels and he said he just did, i said no check my download speeds on the comp, he then said and i quote "am not good with computers, not sure how and i havn't had much training with the 50mg"

He rang tech support who told him how to check using the game files from virgin, but he checked goin through the router and i had to put cat 6 directly into modem as he didn't know which cable to use and i had to show him which files to download. As u prob guessed the speed was slow.

Wen he got off phone to tech support, he again used his machine to test the line and said the power levels where within limits and that i didn't need the attenuator, i asked him to put it on anyway as it couldn't harm it and if it was worse i would remove it, he stated i couldn't do that as it was virgin property, he eventually agreed to put it on and low and behold my speed has been good.

I was totally gobsmacked by this and was sure i was setup as a joke visit!!!!

To top it all off my internet was down this morning so rang the support line only to be told that credit services has restricted me due to non payment of a bill, i had virgin installed 1 yes 1 week ago today.

Spoke to a fantastic lady who informed me that i had gone over my credit limit and thats why my services had gone off, i asked why and wen she checked it seems that i had been over charged, M+ and XL TV and M and XL phone, 50mg broadband and 130 quid installation fee, plus it all again as a month in advance she said this was an error dam right it is,

She put my services back on straight away but my phone line will take up to 48hrs. I am on incomming phone calls only due to virgins mistake and hav a seriously ill daughter at the moment and the phone is my lifeline (phone calls to hospital needed) good job i hav my mobile, but she said it had to go through the system and couldn't be activated straight away.

Sorry for the long post and the rant its less painful than banging my head against a wall lol

Matt-08
14-10-2009, 19:27
Amazing. I thought all techs that dealt with 50Mbps had to undertake special training?

Not good with computers, why be a cable [dealing with broadband!!!] engineer then? Would a plumber say he was no good with sinks?

buckleb
14-10-2009, 19:43
The first guy I had to do my 50Mb install said he didn't usually deal with 'this stuff'. I let that pass as I understand people have different skills. However, when he mentioned that Google would be hosting VM's email because 'their website is faster' my eyebrows went into Roger Moore mode.

Matt-08
14-10-2009, 20:02
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/10/30.jpg

Peter_
14-10-2009, 20:21
However, when he mentioned that Google would be hosting VM's email because 'their website is faster' my eyebrows went into Roger Moore mode.

Virginmedia Googlemail (http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1276473&highlight=) :D:D:D

xocemp
14-10-2009, 20:26
Why imitate ;)

Real GoogleMail (http://mail.google.com) :D

Peter_
14-10-2009, 20:30
Why imitate ;)

Real GoogleMail (http://mail.google.com) :D
That is also bigger as well, so size matters:D

xocemp
14-10-2009, 20:34
Agreed!

I never rely on a ISP mail, more to the fact I don't use a ISP mail this way I'm never disappointed.

Peter_
14-10-2009, 20:36
Agreed!

I never rely on a ISP mail, more to the fact I don't use a ISP mail this way I'm never disappointed.
I have 3 Googlemail accounts, 2 for storage giving me over 20 gig of free space, nothing critical stored but damned useful.

Ignitionnet
14-10-2009, 20:45
The first guy I had to do my 50Mb install said he didn't usually deal with 'this stuff'. I let that pass as I understand people have different skills. However, when he mentioned that Google would be hosting VM's email because 'their website is faster' my eyebrows went into Roger Moore mode.

Knowing as I do the history of the ntl mail platform that's not entirely inaccurate. :D

xpod
14-10-2009, 21:18
*snip*

To top it all off my internet was down this morning so rang the support line only to be told that credit services has restricted me due to non payment of a bill, i had virgin installed 1 yes 1 week ago today.

Spoke to a fantastic lady who informed me that i had gone over my credit limit and thats why my services had gone off, i asked why and wen she checked it seems that i had been over charged, M+ and XL TV and M and XL phone, 50mg broadband and 130 quid installation fee, plus it all again as a month in advance she said this was an error dam right it is,
*snip*

We had a similar thing happen when we first signed up with Virgin, or NTL as it was back in the Spring of 2006.It was sorted out after a rather frustrating call(or two) to Bangalore but a month or two later they topped even that stunt by taking 2 lots of the bill from our account then asking me to prove it, before trying to palm me of with a credit to our account.You had to laugh at their audacity if nothing else.I made them pay the cash back purely on principal but what a hassle.We had quite a few nightmares with them during our first year or so but it was all just part of the fun.:)