PDA

View Full Version : Moan about speed results

Pia
12-10-2009, 23:41
I'm supposed to be on 10 meg, and have been doing tests randomly at different times, on various sites and including this one for the last few days and i'm never getting above 2meg download speed, or 0.5 upload.

I have tried wiring direct to modem (currently on wireless) and it makes no difference.

Tbh i haven't noticed it much when generally browsing, because i tend to just visit forums and not download anything.

I've got new neighbours who mentioned the other day that they 'do' DVD's so i'm assuming they're downloading on a large scale... Not sure if the timings of them moving in match my loss of speed.

So what next - spend 7 years on the phone to India while they tell me it's my computers fault? :shrug:

Anything i can do beforehand to make the process less painful?

Thanks, and my apologies for posting such a common question, but i'm a noob :p:

Steve Day
13-10-2009, 00:05
over the last couple of weeks i have noticed that my usually rock solid 10meg (9.5 ish actual) connection has at peak times (about 6-8pm) swung wildly on the download speed from 2meg to 9 meg.

the upload speed is a constant .45 -.49 meg which is correct. upload is only 512kpbs max.

out of peak hours (morning and after 9.30) i get the speed which i have been used to since the 2-10 upgrade.

however someone pointed out that the colleges and unis are now back and overloading the system maybe. there is a ring of definite possibility in that at peak hours.

anyway u are not alone in noticing speed drops atm. the newsgroup is full of such cries.

i use the following sites to test my speed:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://myspeed.visualware.com/

Steve

Peter_
13-10-2009, 07:15
I'm supposed to be on 10 meg, and have been doing tests randomly at different times, on various sites and including this one for the last few days and i'm never getting above 2meg download speed, or 0.5 upload.

I have tried wiring direct to modem (currently on wireless) and it makes no difference.

Tbh i haven't noticed it much when generally browsing, because i tend to just visit forums and not download anything.

I've got new neighbours who mentioned the other day that they 'do' DVD's so i'm assuming they're downloading on a large scale... Not sure if the timings of them moving in match my loss of speed.

So what next - spend 7 years on the phone to India while they tell me it's my computers fault? :shrug:

Anything i can do beforehand to make the process less painful?

Thanks, and my apologies for posting such a common question, but i'm a noob :p:
Try this site site Pia as its the one we use when you call in, full instructions in the link.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php

If still slow call after 0800 so we can check your connection on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Ignitionnet
13-10-2009, 09:13
Try http://www.vmspeed.net and see how you do on that dudette.

axelgs1
14-10-2009, 15:31
Hi, I am new to the forum and reading this thread prompted me to say what I have been experiencing with Virgin M. Upgraded to free 10mb 6 weeks ago. Ever since then I have experienced slow speeds after 5.30 pm to 0012am..974kbps to 1209kbps. Been through all the hoops to India, 2 engineers, replacement modem, umpteen phone calls, refunds and compensation, choose my type of music on customer service VM phone, raised voices, patronisation, cut offs, redials, through the hoops again, Urdu lessons, swotting the forums, chasing info, waiting til I got swine flu etc, etc... Finally contension ration issue admitance from VM.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Decided to cancel but after the nice lady convinced me to talk to Broadband support they were great. They were not economical with the truth, verified the issue was CRatio and was being looked into. No date or time span for resolvement but at least they verified my concern. I would advise all people having this problem once you have checked modem, wireless or hard wired for problems. Go to cancel account, then go to BB support they have all the secret info the people in India or customer services dont have.

buckleb
14-10-2009, 15:53
Try http://www.vmspeed.net and see how you do on that dudette.

The actual speed tester is at www.vmspeed.com The .net address is some kind of internal trials and pilots page.

Matt-08
14-10-2009, 19:31
The actual speed tester is at www.vmspeed.com The .net address is some kind of internal trials and pilots page.

Access forbidden for me. Also engineers use a speed test website but they enter an IP address and login with username "virgin" and a password I'll probably never know....

buckleb
14-10-2009, 19:37
Access forbidden for me. Also engineers use a speed test website but they enter an IP address and login with username "virgin" and a password I'll probably never know....

Strange, it looks like it's been taken down. I've been using since last Friday, but no more it seems.

buckleb
15-10-2009, 09:02
Looks like it's back up!

Ignitionnet
15-10-2009, 09:45

I did then some plank posted it on here, acted a dick when asked to edit it out of his post and miraculously it got changed...

Bricktop
15-10-2009, 10:34
some speedtest websites are usless, i used one the other day and it reported 24mbs, then used the vmspeed one which reported my full speed. also download 3 files at once which gave me 5.9meg

Pia
15-10-2009, 10:36
Oooh sorry, i did come back when there was a few replies and used the links - and wrote a reply but for some reason i didn't post lol.

When i did that, i was getting around 3meg download so a little better but still not good enough!! Have yet to ring them but i've had a PM from a nice member so i will see what that uncovers :D

To be continued :p: