PDA

View Full Version : 20MB lose connection constantly for a few seconds

icaros
11-10-2009, 16:51
Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help me. I have a 20Mb connection and in the last few days I am losing connection to internet for a few seconds and then it comes up again. I connected my Mac straight to the modem and I tried to see if that will fix the problem, but it did not. Then I realized that I can connect to the modem using the address 192.168.100.1. I tried that and although I can connect some times, I cannot connect the rest of the time. So it seems that the problem maybe with the modem....

Has anyone any advise about this problem? I called Virgin, but they had no clue and they said they need to send an engineer.

Other potentially useful info:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1001
Hardware Version : 1.9

Many Thanks in advance

Peter_
11-10-2009, 19:01
Your power levels are fine so at a loss as to what an engineer will do when he arrives.

What model is the modem by the way.

icaros
11-10-2009, 20:01
Your power levels are fine so at a loss as to what an engineer will do when he arrives.

What model is the modem by the way.

Hi Moldova,

Thanks you very much for taking the time to reply to my message. The modem seems to be Ambit model no E08C013.00. That is the only info I can find on it.

BUt based on your experience what does the fact that I can not connect to the modem tell you? I mean I can connect in some instances but then it times me out the next time I try. I have to try 3-4 times again before I can connect again.

By the way, they told me the engineer may have to replace the modem.

Thanks

Peter_
11-10-2009, 20:03
Hi Moldova,

Thanks you very much for taking the time to reply to my message. The modem seems to be Ambit model no E08C013.00. That is the only info I can find on it.

BUt based on your experience what does the fact that I can not connect to the modem tell you? I mean I can connect in some instances but then it times me out the next time I try. I have to try 3-4 times again before I can connect again.

By the way, they told me the engineer may have to replace the modem.

Thanks
Which one of these is it just click the link.http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

icaros
11-10-2009, 20:07
It is the Virgin Media 256. Thanks

Peter_
11-10-2009, 20:10
It is the Virgin Media 256. Thanks

That is the latest modem Virgin supply and I have one myself, your power levels appear OK so the may be an issue internally with the modem which can usually be seen by 2nd line and may be the reason they are replacing the modem.