PDA

View Full Version : Is cable installed?

whitewineandsoda
10-10-2009, 19:27
Hi, a bit of advice needed if anyone can help?
We have been to view a property, and the agent didn't know if cable is installed/available. How do I find out, as I looked for a cable like the one we have at home but couldn't make out if there was one. I have been with Virgin since NTL, and don't want to change to another provider. Any help appreciated, as we are going for another viewing on Tuesday with the intention of putting an offer in. TIA, WWAS

webcrawler2050
10-10-2009, 19:32
We have been to view a property, and the agent didn't know if cable is installed/available. How do I find out, as I looked for a cable like the one we have at home but couldn't make out if there was one. I have been with Virgin since NTL, and don't want to change to another provider. Any help appreciated, as we are going for another viewing on Tuesday with the intention of putting an offer in. TIA, WWAS

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/?buspart=Portal_HP_topnav_1_1 Postcode in the right, go from there

whitewineandsoda
10-10-2009, 19:38
Wow Webcrawler 2050 that was quick! Thankyou so much, I entered postcode and it is available. Much appreciated...:)

webcrawler2050
10-10-2009, 19:40
Wow Webcrawler 2050 that was quick! Thankyou so much, I entered postcode and it is available. Much appreciated...:)

Good - most welcome :)

horseman
11-10-2009, 12:29

This say's more about the efficacy of your "agent" than it does about the reliability of VM's postcode checker which is NOT 100%.

If VM was installed it is trivial for (and I would expect) the agent to enquire of the vendor anyway who should be able to provide a bill or statement to that effect. That is aside from the obvious clues of CATV pits,nynex,c&w,ntl omniboxes on external walls and inside which you presumably didn't find-hence your question. Presumably checking neighbouring properties either side didn't help either?

Why don't you ring up and ask Virgin for an installation quote/house move anyway?

When I moved from one NTL Southcoast Franchise to an adjacent one 40 miles away I actually made VM(or NTL or C&W) availability as part of the "specification" so the "agent" knew they had to obtain that info before I viewed.
Equally the searches/survey included that criteria which required the vendor to supply appropriate documentation as part of sale agreement.
(Naturally it doesn't cover a utility company from subsequently refusing to supply a service for other "credit related" reasons to a new customer). It merely confirmed the vendor had a certain level of service provided.

I never found an agent that queried this or gave excuses.... if they had I would avoided them like swine flu as invariably you would get more serious problems with them later!