PDA

View Full Version : Number Barring

Robbie34
10-10-2009, 17:27
Is it possible to have a particular number barred?

I'm fed up with this stupid woman who is forever ringing the wrong number. This has been going on for a few years now and it's beginning to get on my nerves. It's not too bad if I'm not busy, but she has rung at the most awkward times: in the shower; on the loo; early in the morning when I'm in bed.

As soon as I reply she says, "Ooh, sorry. I've got the wrong number."

Sorry for going on, but she's not long done it again.

Toto
10-10-2009, 17:28
Is it possible to have a particular number barred?

I'm fed up with this stupid woman who is forever ringing the wrong number. This has been going on for a few years now and it's beginning to get on my nerves. It's not too bad if I'm not busy, but she has rung at the most awkward times: in the shower; on the loo; early in the morning when I'm in bed.

As soon as I reply she says, "Ooh, sorry. I've got the wrong number."

Sorry for going on, but she's not long done it again.

No, I don't think VM offer such a service, actually I wonder if its possible at all.

FairyFairy
10-10-2009, 17:45
Sounds a bit unsympathetic ... but why not have a whistle by the phone and next time she phones blow your whistle..... she might remember not to then!!!!:rolleyes:

dave_dph
10-10-2009, 18:34
On BT yes you can, on VM not a chance!

m419
11-10-2009, 10:15
Maybe they can bar particular numbers from an exchange but would require a little time and a bit of investigation alternatively you can get a free number change, the second time you change your number it will cost around £20.

Ask for the nuicence calls team, I think the number is 0800-953-3333

They will be able to help, don't call 150 directly, they will just say No! before even researching on what to do.

Alien
21-11-2009, 00:18
On BT yes you can, on VM not a chance!
Perhaps not by actually getting VM to do it, but some phones have the ability to do it, whereby they let you set a specific number to block & instead of making the phone ring or letting the person leave a message, they just get a recorded message. By default it will probably be something like "Sorry, but you can not leave a message", & then it hangs up, but you can usually change it to whatever you want, i.e. "Go away you silly woman, you've got the wrong number!" :D

Alternatively, there's a gizmo you can get from Play.com, called TrueCall (http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/11103266/TrueCall-Nuisance-Call-Blocker/Product.html), for £70 [It's available elsewhere, but I think they're the cheapest]. It connects between the main phone socket & your phone, & you can set it to reject all anonymous calls, & as many specific numbers as you want. IIRC, you can add someone to the block or allow list after you've picked up a call by just pressing the appropriate number key on your phone.

Sir John Luke
21-11-2009, 09:49
Perhaps not by actually getting VM to do it, but some phones have the ability to do it, whereby they let you set a specific number to block & instead of making the phone ring or letting the person leave a message, they just get a recorded message. By default it will probably be something like "Sorry, but you can not leave a message", & then it hangs up, but you can usually change it to whatever you want, i.e. "Go away you silly woman, you've got the wrong number!" :D

Alternatively, there's a gizmo you can get from Play.com, called TrueCall (http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/11103266/TrueCall-Nuisance-Call-Blocker/Product.html), for £70 [It's available elsewhere, but I think they're the cheapest]. It connects between the main phone socket & your phone, & you can set it to reject all anonymous calls, & as many specific numbers as you want. IIRC, you can add someone to the block or allow list after you've picked up a call by just pressing the appropriate number key on your phone.
I assume this will only work if caller id is available (which isn't the case for a lot of VM customers)