PDA

View Full Version : New Modem Received

Traffico3
07-10-2009, 17:33
I have just received a 20meg cable modem through the post, from Virgin. Apparently they considered that as a long time customer, I wasn't getting value for money. Phone line rental £11.00 cable broadband £20.00 [10meg] plus all phone calls and vat.
Speaking to customer services etc, they still insist on pushing this upgrade. I am not interested in downloading music or films etc. All I want is to be able to make and receive phone call at all times, send/rec emails, browse the net. Knowing how their information and assurances vary according to whoever answers your call, I envisage a bill increase at a future date.
So can anyone tell me. Will I benefit at all by upgrading from 10 to 20 meg?

moaningmags
07-10-2009, 17:35
Not if what you have now suits your needs, what is your current modem?

Traffico3
07-10-2009, 17:47
Ntl 200

Peter_
07-10-2009, 19:58
Ntl 200
That modem is more than capable of running with your present 10Mb connection, they have sent you a new modem so that you would be using the latest kit, the is no issue continuing to use your old modem if you do not want to change it.

AndyCalling
07-10-2009, 20:30
That said, £20+£11 is what I pay for 20meg as it's the going rate. As speeds go up, there's no way they could increase the price of the £20 20meg connection (except the 50p tax for the phone line that looks like a runner, but you'll get that anyway). It'll simply either go down in price or they'll encourage everyone to migrate to 50meg (as in this case, by price matching it with the lower speed) and then stop selling the lower speed to new customers. Still, I thought 10meg had some time left yet before they started the process. Seems not.

It'll simply be a case of switching modems and then registering the MAC with Virgin.

What have you got to lose? Even if you don't need the speed, you'll get higher limits before being traffic managed. Good for streaming video from Auntie Beeb. Also, you'll find downloading anything that bit faster. Nice.

I say go for it. Nothing to lose but your waiting time.

Traffico3
07-10-2009, 21:16
Thanks guys.