PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Phone Socket

Aandrew
07-10-2009, 13:28
When I moved into my house it already had a telewest connection. Im still using virgin media cable broadband but using BT for my phone calls.

In the room where the cable comes into the house is a box from which the coax cable to my modem is connected and next to that a phone socket. These are wired to a brown plastic box on the external wall of the house.

What I want to do is run a cat5e cable from this room round the outside of my house to the living room which is on the opposite side of the house. What I hope to do is reuse the phone socket as a network point.

So my question is this, is it possible to safely remove the wiring to the phone socket so that I can run my cat5e cable there instead with a different face plate? Im not how the existing phone wiring is connected to the external box, I thought I might just cut it right back and then tape it up with some self amalgamating tape?

MovedGoalPosts
07-10-2009, 14:01
If the phone socket you are referring to is the master phone socket for Virgin, you shouldn't really be doing anything with it as it's the termination point for their phone service. If however you really won't be using the Virgin phone service ever again then you might accept it's redundancy. The brown external box is effectively a junction box allowing virgin to route their cables separately to the points of customer connection for cable, TV and phone.

hemelvirgin
10-10-2009, 14:17
hi,

not exactly the same question. i had a VIP package install last Thursday
only had one phone socket installed in the living room.

i asked the installer who did the inside work he said they are only obliged to istall one socket.

they had to run a cable around the house to our study where the router/modem is situated ,so i though it would of been a simple task.

unfortunately the were two of the most miserable pair of installers i have had the misfortune to come across even by SKY's standards.

probably ex-NTL installers.