PDA

View Full Version : 20MB connection, off and on peak getting 10 megs or less

Antc
06-10-2009, 18:36
I've really had it with Virgin, I tried to phone the fault line was on hold for around half an hour and gave up.:mad::td:

20mb connection is consistently crap, varying from around 5-10 megs off and on peak.

Can anyone help?

If you need any details I can post them if you tell me how to get them.

Cheers

Sephiroth
06-10-2009, 20:08
Is that directly attached to the modem or via a router?

There are many potential causes on your side of the modem that you haven't told us you've ruled out.

Antc
06-10-2009, 20:36
Is that directly attached to the modem or via a router?

There are many potential causes on your side of the modem that you haven't told us you've ruled out.

I'm behind a new WNR2000 netgear, I was until yesterday behind a WGR614 router. The speed issues were present with that router and with this router also.

I have tried hooking the modem directly to the PC, still no joy.

Modem randomly losses connection for around 30 minutes - 2 hours.

Judging from other posts I think this may be some of what will hopefully help diagnose the issue.

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 307000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 68
Downstream Frequency : 307000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.3 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Is there anything else I can post/tell you to help?

Thanks

Sephiroth
06-10-2009, 21:09
OK - we can rule out the ethernet ports set to 10mbps. That was the main issue that had to be disposed of on the CPE side.

Your modem stats are absolutely fine.

The SNR tells us that you're fine to the cabinet at least. So whatever it is would be in or beyond the cabinet. If it was beyond the cabinet, perhaps hundreds of users would be sharing fibre and suffering as well. You could give your post code and raise a challenge on speed in a separate post that has the post code in the subject line.

If it's not beyond the cabinet, it could be the box terminating your copper line at the cabinet. In that case it might just be you affected or how ever many go into the box.

So, if my diagnosis is on the right lines, and you seem to know what you're doing, persisting with a call to CS seems to be the right thing to do.

Antc
06-10-2009, 21:23
OK - we can rule out the ethernet ports set to 10mbps. That was the main issue that had to be disposed of on the CPE side.

Your modem stats are absolutely fine.

The SNR tells us that you'r fine to the cabinet at least. So whatever it is woud be in or beyond the cabinet. If it was beyond the cabinet, perhaps hundreds of ysers would be sharing fibre and suffering as well. You could give your post code and raise a challenge on speed in a separate post that has the post code in the subject line.

If it's not beyond the cabinet, it could be the box terminating your copper line at the cabinet. In that case it might just be you affected or how ever many go into the box.

So, if my diagnosis is on the right lines, and you seem to know what you're doing, persisting with a call to CS seems to be the right thing to do.

Ok, thank you for your help.

I have had bad experiences with their CS department, so wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could fix my end before contacting them.

Thanks again.