PDA

View Full Version : Virgin ADSL - Milton Keynes - unusable at peak time

monstermunch
05-10-2009, 23:25
My virgin ADSL has never been good at the best of times but the last few days have been ridiculous.

I cannot get any throughput at peak times, and I mean, nothing, NADA! I can barely even ping IP's. The router stays connected but my connection just grinds to a complete standstill.

In the past I've often been able to solve the problem by rebooting the router but even that hasn't worked over the last few days.

It's usually fine at off peak times but evenings and weekends it's just completely unusable.

I'm on the Milton Keynes Bradwell Abbey exchange (one of the biggest in the UK) and I'm convinced it an over subscription/contention/VM Network problem. I've contacted VM support and they just give me the usual BS about possible slowdown at peak times, line length/quality and making sure my ADSL filter is connected properly to the master socket (which it is).

My line stats and hardware all seem fine and as the connection seems fine at off peak times I'm sure it's an over subscription/contention problem but is there any way I can find out for sure? Would a tracert help?

Really had enough of this. If it carries on I'm going switch ISP despite the inevitable hassle because it's beyond a joke now.