PDA

View Full Version : Noob Help with 50Meg

Garry Spight
05-10-2009, 16:37
Hi I am new on here.

Im in need of some help,
Im not great with computers but i know im not getting the speed I want from my 50 meg BB.

I get 50.02 meg if Hard wire in to the modem (no router).
But as soon as I plug the router in in drops to 22meg.

What is going wrong?

Can somone help me up as virgin just say the router is not working with my computer, and that i should buy another at my expense.

I have the Dlink dir 615 and I also have the netgear wnr2000

Can someone please offer me some help as it is driving me mad

Many Thanks Garry

Matt_S
05-10-2009, 16:50
Hi,

Are you going wireless once you've plugged the router in? Or are you wired into the router via ethernet cable?

If you're wireless maybe your dongle/adapter isnt connecting in 'N' mode. Only in 'N' mode can you receive the full 50mb wirelessly. The standard 'G' mode maxes out at around 24mb I believe...someone may well correct me though!

Garry Spight
05-10-2009, 16:58
Im getting that speed both wired and wireless out the router.

I dont expect to get the full 50Meg wireless but I do when it is wired to the router.

I think G is good for 54meg im not sure

AbyssUnderground
05-10-2009, 17:07
G is good for a theoretical 54Mbps. The actual throughput is closer to 25Mbps (roughly half) and this is under good conditions. You will never actually see 54Mbps throughput on 54Mbps G connection.

Garry Spight
05-10-2009, 17:12
ok thats fine. I would still like to see 50 meg wired tho as I dont mind plugging the computer in

AbyssUnderground
05-10-2009, 17:21
Turn off the SPI firewall in the router configuration page options. I believe this helps.

Garry Spight
05-10-2009, 18:24
that was already turning off.

Any other suggestions?

Dai
05-10-2009, 18:57
that was already turning off.

Any other suggestions?

Certainly looks like the DLink router should support the speed.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/myincludes/image_page.php?/images/stories/wireless/dlink_dir615/dlink_dir_615b2_router_throughput.png

I wonder if the NIC is setting a different transfer speed between NIC - router compared to NIC-modem?

Garry Spight
05-10-2009, 20:38
Certainly looks like the DLink router should support the speed.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/myincludes/image_page.php?/images/stories/wireless/dlink_dir615/dlink_dir_615b2_router_throughput.png

I wonder if the NIC is setting a different transfer speed between NIC - router compared to NIC-modem?

what does that mean?

How will i check?

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

What is the NIC?

Dai
05-10-2009, 22:31
NIC is the network card in your PC. The cable runs from that to the router or modem. Normally this NIC negotiates a connection speed between itself and the device at the other end of the cable.

I believe this can sometimes fail and a slower speed is selected. However, it's just an idea. Hopefully some smarter networking peeps can add to this?

merlintt
06-10-2009, 09:01
i get a similar problem,50 meg thru modem but only 10 thru netgear wnr2000(wired).My NIC is set to auto negotiate when i get this problem,if i set it to 100mbps HALF DUPLEX i get "50 meg".

wierd thing is if i install the router it works fine,50 meg on auto negotiate but flips back to 10 meg when the computer is restarted.

Gave up in the end-i have 3 wnr2000`s and a netgear gateway(sent by mistake)none of them are used-just plug straight into modem now,but even with this method i have issues using xbox live,can any one recommend a router(wired for xbox and pc setup)as i`m having no luck with the virgin supplied stuff?

Emmeline Pancake
05-11-2009, 16:04
Hi all,

I have the 50 meg broadband account with Virgin, but can't get up to speed.

A technician came round yesterday to sort it out.

I managed to get 50 meg on my laptop when plugged straight into the ethernet, but when on the wireless system I was on about 22 meg - so less than half the speed.

The technician said that as my laptop is over six months old my internal wireless card will be 'g' and that unless I have an 'n' card I will never be able to get 50 meg.

He had a very new HP laptop with him and managed to get 45 meg on our wireless connection.

He also said that in very old houses with lots of steel, such as those found in London's Kensington and Chelsea, Virgin advise customers to purchase a Linksys router (one of the ones that you plug in separately from the modem, possibly in another room) as they would only be able to get 50 meg using this kind of router. (Don't live in K&C, but maybe a Linksys router would help?)

How easy is it to change the internal wireless card from g to n and how much would it cost?

Is what he is saying even true?

I'm using a 2006 macbook laptop on OSX 10.4.11. It has intel processing.

The modem is a D-Link Ambit Model no: E08C015.01

The wireless router is a D-Link DIR 615.

Thanks
EP

ps I get muddled as to the difference between a modem and a router, so apologies if I have confused the two in my post above.