PDA

View Full Version : New build in a serviceable area, apparently not serviceable....

Steve-o||[^]
05-10-2009, 12:37
I've recently moved into a new build just down the street from where I've been receiving Cable broadband since the days of 150K - Google Earth clocks the distance at half a mile, following the CableTel mars bars on the pavement.

Anyways, according to Virgin Media's "postcode checker", every postcode I checked in the area (including the even-numbered buildings directly across the street) is capable of receiving their 'fiber-optic' services; except mine :S

They've also sent out a 'spotter' who's confirmed the section of street the new builds are on is unserviceable.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a second opinion?

Flyboy
05-10-2009, 13:28
Forgive my ignorance, but do they mean that it it will not be possible to install cable lines to your part of the new estate?

Aragorn
05-10-2009, 13:41
I'm sure someone else will confirm, but iirc it is not economically viable for VM to lay new cables, so unless there is an access point on the pavement in front of your new property you are on a hiding to nothing :(
I think the only way any new properties are cabled these days is if the developer pays VM to install the necessary cables upfront, which given the economic climate is very unlikely.

Flyboy
05-10-2009, 13:50
I don't think the developer pays VM anything to install the cables. I would have thought, like BT, they just go in automatically and lay the cables during construction. I might be talking out of my hat, but hat would make more sense to me. It would be minimal cost to do that way, rather than do it after the build has finished.

webcrawler2050
05-10-2009, 14:18
You need to speak to sales - ask for a wayleaf, they will add your postal code and the services possible. At the same time, a spotter will come and check everything out for you and confirm, if you are serviceable or not. Personally, I found, If you have a sales desk in your local town centre, indoor, go to them, they tend to get things done quicker and hassle free.

Aragorn
05-10-2009, 14:21
:erm: The OP says a spotter has already been out and said it's not serviceable. This is about whether not serviceable can become serviced.

webcrawler2050
05-10-2009, 14:43
:erm: The OP says a spotter has already been out and said it's not serviceable. This is about whether not serviceable can become serviced.

Yes, speak to the wayleaf team - sales can do this

BenMcr
05-10-2009, 15:08
I would have thought, like BT, they just go in automatically and lay the cables during constructionAs far as I was aware BT don't do this. It is the developer that gets the phoneline installed within the the development.

It is why it cost's so much to activate a line that has never been connected to BT's network before

Yes, speak to the wayleaf team - sales can do thisSorry but you are wrong. The wayleave team deal with addresses that is already servicable barring permission to run cabling over other peoples properties.

They cannot override a Spotters decision. If they say it's not servicable due to no network it's not servicable

Steve-o||[^]
06-10-2009, 17:52

That's pretty much it.

Basically, the street is a squished 'H' shape, with both left sections being cabled, with accompanying CATV and ntl manholes. But only the top-right section being cabled, with accompanying CableTel and CATV manholes.

The building's contractors have said there's internal ducts to run cables to blank wall sockets in each flat, and access ducts leading out to the pavement.

I'd have though, given the potential customer base that would be gained (~50 flats, total), it'd be relatively painless to add additional taps/capacity to the existing cab, and micro-trench the pavement for their main RF branches.

I may give sales/moving another call tomorrow.

jungleguy
08-10-2009, 23:15
if a spotter says its non serve its non serve, don't bother ringing sales, a wasted phone call, these things need to be dealt with on the ground. If you want VM your gonna have to move. Wayleaf admin can't authorize a budget to dig up your pavement (don't like contradicting someone but webcrawler2050 your out of your depth here, I mean tell someone to ring telesales your having a laugh!!!) there are only 2 channels that can release your property as serviceable Spotters and New Dev. Telesales are a waste of space in these circumstances, they haven't got a clue.

Your huge problem here is that on new builds once the pavement goes down, no-one can dig it up for 3 or 5 years (I can't remember exactly) This is because you have to wait for the council to adopt the pavement before any excavation.

A developer is legally obliged to provide utility service access. So gas electric, phone etc. If they have made provisions for BT then they have no legal obligation to provide Cable services.

But there is a loop hole. A developer puts BT ducts in, If you and the rest of the owners in you block can buy these ducts back of BT, for a minimal fee. Once done you put whatever you like through these ducts including VM. The big issue is connecting the BT duct to the VM network. Construction required!!!! at a considerable cost. The chances are the spotter is unaware of this loop hole.

to answer another issue in this thread....BT pay a developer £110 per unit (house/flat) VM will only put services in if a developer pays them £50. So from a cost/profitability point of view developers go for BT. Its all about the bottom line.

good night people

Flyboy
08-10-2009, 23:19
if a spotter says its non serve its non serve, don't bother ringing sales, a wasted phone call, these things need to be dealt with on the ground. If you want VM your gonna have to move. Wayleaf admin can't authorize a budget to dig up your pavement (don't like contradicting someone but webcrawler2050 your out of your depth here, I mean tell someone to ring telesales your having a laugh!!!)

Your huge problem here is that on new builds once the pavement goes down, no-one can dig it up for 3 or 5 years (I can't remember exactly) This is because you have to wait for the council to adopt the pavement before any excavation.

A developer is legally obliged to provide utility service access. So gas electric, phone etc. If they have made provisions for BT then they have no legal obligation to provide Cable services.

But there is a loop hole. A developer puts BT ducts in, If you and the rest of the owners in you block can buy these ducts back of BT, for a minimal fee. Once done you put whatever you like through these ducts including VM. The big issue is connecting the BT duct to the VM network. Construction required!!!! at a considerable cost. The chances are the spotter is unaware of this loop hole.

to answer another issue in this thread....BT pay a developer £110 per unit (house/flat) VM will only put services in if a developer pays them £50. So from a cost/profitability point of view developers go for BT. Its all about the bottom line.

good night people

Huh????? I am not sure that's entirely accurate. I don't think it takes a local authority that long to adopt by-ways. These are usually agreed at the planning stages.

jungleguy
08-10-2009, 23:57
an example for you

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/adopting-a-costly-problem-paul-gosling-warns-of-the-potential-pitfalls-of-having-responsibility-for-your-road-1509471.html

big issue with this article is that the council have NOT adopted the pavement.

Flyboy
09-10-2009, 13:10
The vast majority of these are private thoroughfares. The rest are down to incompetent admintaration and instatement/re-instatement works. But that only covers about point zero one per cent of by-ways in this country. The rest are just what we would normally expect.

Chris
09-10-2009, 13:34
Flyboy, a council will not adopt a pavement or road until it is laid to the required standard. The standard will be insisted upon via conditions attached to planning permission, and enforced by planning officers if necessary, but until the works are complete and verified the highways department will not action the adoption.

I can't say how long it takes from completion to adoption, although instinct tells me this will vary wildly from council to council. However one thing I am sure of is that adoption does not occur until well after the development is complete.

Flyboy
09-10-2009, 16:08
Flyboy, a council will not adopt a pavement or road until it is laid to the required standard. The standard will be insisted upon via conditions attached to planning permission, and enforced by planning officers if necessary, but until the works are complete and verified the highways department will not action the adoption.

I can't say how long it takes from completion to adoption, although instinct tells me this will vary wildly from council to council. However one thing I am sure of is that adoption does not occur until well after the development is complete.

Nothing I have written contradicts, nor challenges that. What I was challenging was the assumption that it could take up to three to five years for that adoption process to be completed and the assertion that that is a common occurrence. In fact, your post is similar to the point I made earlier.

jungleguy
10-10-2009, 09:16
lets move on. its a technicality, and Chris did mention the policy varies from council to council, which is my get out clause.