PDA

View Full Version : Need help with BB

elninio
04-10-2009, 16:47
As per many of the requests being made on this forum, I too need help with finding out whats wrong with my broadband. Its pretty much annoying the hell out of me, sometimes its 10mb, other times it throws a strop and goes down to 1mb!

Anyway heres the stuff from my modems information page.

Downstream Status Operational
Channel ID 3
Downstream Frequency 331000000 Hz
Modulation 256QAM
Bit Rate 10240000 bits/sec
Power Level -1.9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 38.3 dB

Upstream Status Operational
Channel ID 3
Upstream Frequency 34000000 Hz
Modulation 16QAM
Bit Rate 512000 bits/sec
Power Level 40.0 dBmV

The upload speed is always fine and correct, its just the download speed that goes off on tangents!

Its been like this since august really, I just figured it would have been fixed eventually and left it alone. Is this happening much in the newcastle area?

Also the bot question asked me what colour a banana is, I just want to know if it would have also accepted green?

Cheers

Dhillon

Peter_
04-10-2009, 16:52
Your power levels are spot on so any fault must be elsewhere.

I would advise you to call 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and talk to Tech support who can run checks on your connection to try and find what is causing your issue.

Maybe best to call after 0800 on Monday but you may get a Scottish call centre if you call now.

elninio
04-10-2009, 17:00
Thanks for the quick reply. Will give them a ring tomorrow morning and see whats the problem.

xocemp
04-10-2009, 17:05
Also the bot question asked me what colour a banana is, I just want to know if it would have also accepted green?

Cheers

Dhillon

LOL, ohh and lookie a bot style reply.

Firstly welcome to the forums.

Do you have this erratic speed all the time or just at peek times & weekends.
Do you get packet loss?
Can you post back the results of: ping -n 25 bbc.co.uk

elninio
04-10-2009, 18:59
Well lately its been happening at varoius times. Sometimes its throught the day till the next, others its just during mornings till the evenings. It was like this a month ago but went back to being full speed for most of september, but seems to have come back.

My router says it gets some packet loss but only a small percentage.

Result of test:

Minimum 20ms, Max: 66, Avg: 31

0% packet loss