PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 20mb

adzii_nufc
03-10-2009, 17:53
So Im on 20mb In my Current Home With Various Problems But 50mb In my Mothers house is Fine.

When I tweak with The Cable Wiring Seems the Speed Shoots up to 5-10mb again From as low as 20kbps.

Think It would Pay to Re-lay and Cut Fresh Cabling as It Seems The Current One Is causing The problems?

FQ: Anyone Know How to Remove the Coax Connector On the Main Cable Running up the Garden.. Seems to Be locked on?

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 17:59
I dont think, you are allowed to touch and or "tweak" the cables, it could be a breach of T & S their - speak to tech support would be the best option.

Rone
03-10-2009, 19:22
I dont think, you are allowed to touch and or "tweak" the cables, it could be a breach of T & S their - speak to tech support would be the best option.

Yeh let them fob you off. :D

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 19:26
Yeh let them fob you off. :D

Maybe but if you touch / alter the cable I believe it to be in breach of T & S

Ben B
03-10-2009, 19:29
Yeah but it's £99 if there are probs with DIY alterations or £99 to get them to alter it

Raistlin
03-10-2009, 19:29
webcrawler's right, anything from the modem onwards belongs to Virgin - messing around with it would be against their Terms and Conditions.

The co-ax plug is a special fitment, if you remove it you won't be able to re-affix it without the proper tool (and you would need to actually replace the plug as well).

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 19:34
Could be worth, the cost if it's a serious move! :)

Ignitionnet
03-10-2009, 20:24
So Im on 20mb In my Current Home With Various Problems But 50mb In my Mothers house is Fine.

When I tweak with The Cable Wiring Seems the Speed Shoots up to 5-10mb again From as low as 20kbps.

Think It would Pay to Re-lay and Cut Fresh Cabling as It Seems The Current One Is causing The problems?

FQ: Anyone Know How to Remove the Coax Connector On the Main Cable Running up the Garden.. Seems to Be locked on?

Do what you want with the cable in your home but leave the stuff outside alone. Most cable companies consider the point at which the cable comes into the home to be the demarcation point between what they control and what you do. While this isn't the case with Virgin it's a very valid point of view - do consider obeying it. Once it's through your wall knock yourself out, but leave the outside.

adzii_nufc
03-10-2009, 23:19
Thanks for all your reply's.. Im not gonna tweak with the coax plug then, Just gonna cut the bit after the connector

Also Could It be Something Stupid On my Computer Is Clogging this Up, Im an Engineer Not an IT expert so would appreciate Any sort of Guidance at things I should be Looking for?

Update. Turned Windows Firewall Of and Speed Went up to 16mbps. I believe this was just a lucky test and Hasnt resolved anything

Rone
04-10-2009, 18:40

Should have added dont touch any of it, as it could get you into trouble.

faisalabadi
04-10-2009, 21:12
call vm

adzii_nufc
05-10-2009, 14:24
Im calling VM soon to Upgrade Again to 50mb As this Is now My Permanent home :)

So.. Anything I Should remove? Removed T-junction. Cut the Co-ax End off the Cable Going into the modem as the Inside had snapped That Should be a problem with them.

So he'll test the Line and Also give me a new Shiny modem Hopefully

NOTE: I did not Tamper with anything On the Main cable Coming up the garden

FQ: Do you Get a router with 50mb to save me Putting another T-junction in so I can Use the xbox downstairs still ?