PDA

View Full Version : Is IP addresses almost static/

Russell Winder
03-10-2009, 15:51
i have tried all usual things (rebooting modem, releasing/renewing) but I cannot change my ip address.

Has VM changed things?

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 15:53
Releasing and renewing only works for local IP issues / setup 192.168.x.x

Power your modem and router off, leave it off for 5 / 10 minutes - then power it back on and no they havn't changed anything as far as I'm aware..

Raistlin
03-10-2009, 15:55
As I understand it, VM's IP addresses are 'sticky'.

Not quite dynamic (in that they aren't constantly changing) and not quite fixed (in that they'll change according to Sod's Law, just when you really don't want them to).

Not sure how you would go about forcing a change, try leaving the modem off for half an hour or so and see if that does the trick.

Russell Winder
03-10-2009, 15:57
Thanks, I will try the 10 minutes thing..

BTW I released the IP addy within the router but I renewed I got the same one, this used to work in the past but no more...

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 15:57
As I understand it, VM's IP addresses are 'sticky'.

Not quite dynamic (in that they aren't constantly changing) and not quite fixed (in that they'll change according to Sod's Law, just when you really don't want them to).

Not sure how you would go about forcing a change, try leaving the modem off for half an hour or so and see if that does the trick.

As far as I know, it cant be changed, just happens when the aollocation drops. I've know, friends, who have had the same IP for months, even with reboots.

Kymmy
03-10-2009, 16:03
If the router allows it just change the MAC address of the router, that'll then give you a new IP on modem/router reboot

Ignitionnet
03-10-2009, 16:35
The only way to ensure you change IP address is to change the MAC address of the device you are connecting to the modem, either by changing the device itself or playing with its' config.

Switching off the modem and router for 10 minutes or indeed 10 hours isn't likely to make a difference as:

1) You need your week long IP lease to expire
and
2) You need someone else to take that lease.

Given that most devices renew their leases when they are 50% used up #1 is tricky and #2 is unlikely and will only happen if no unused addresses are present.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Has VM changed things?

Yes - a few areas had slightly less 'sticky' addresses than normal, this was changed when both ex-ntl and ex-Telewest networks were standardised for address allocation.

adzii_nufc
03-10-2009, 17:06
Lol i have no problem changing my Ip adress via Network properties. Releasing it typing 111.111.111 etc. then obataining one automatically and It changes.

So Is this something that is only Standard to Certain Areas?

Stuart
03-10-2009, 17:14
Lol i have no problem changing my Ip adress via Network properties. Releasing it typing 111.111.111 etc. then obataining one automatically and It changes.

So Is this something that is only Standard to Certain Areas?

1) That would only apply if you are not connected via a router (otherwise you are only affecting your IP on your own network).
2) It may be that your area has a lot of customers, therefore the one you are allocated will change more quickly. Broadbandings has worked with cable for a long time on the networks side, so I would be inclined to believe he knows what he is talking about when he said that VM have standardised their allocation systems nationally.

Ignitionnet
03-10-2009, 17:18
Certainly they have been standardising, maybe Newcastle hasn't been done yet. It's been a work in progress for a while. Some bits of ex-TW land and bits of ex-ntl were misconfigured, customers should never have been able to do such things.

The configuration I described above was actually how all the networks were built. Sounds like someone messed up with the copy/pasting between the servers :)

adzii_nufc
03-10-2009, 17:51
Yea I believe you hit it right on the head with it being an area problem, Around Here VM seem to forget us.. as if were not properly listed

I believe the Problem is, I live in a 4 housed Street Connecting Via Road onto the Rest Of the Street, But the 4 housed Section (Mine) Has a Completely Different Postcode.. Very Strange.. May have Little to do with it Or everything

Dont think It Stretches Too Far though Been to My Mothers And I cant change My Ip there, But here Ive changed it twice Just now to confirm

One thing to note is Every time ive changed it.. Its the same IP's ive changed from or too.. So its Basicially between 5-6 Ip's No new ones for the last 5-6 months, Hope you get what I mean

Ignitionnet
03-10-2009, 17:53
Yes I do, sounds like you have a few that have been leased to you in the past, so can take one of those back again as you've the last MAC address bound to them.

That's quite possible if you're in a quiet area with not much movement of customers.

Thanks for the extra info it makes much more sense now.