PDA

View Full Version : New VM 20Mb customer - very slow and laggy - possible Power Level problem?

jamesmhunt
01-10-2009, 09:39
Hi,

I had Virgin Media installed last week, and am distinctly unimpressed by the 20Mb broadband experience so far.

Speed tests (using various speed test sites including speedtest.net, thinkbroadband.com, ispreview.co.uk) generally show OK-ish downstream speeds during the day - usually between 10 and 17Mb, and pings are good at between 10 and 40ms, however in the evenings the speeds are dropping to between 3 and 5Mb.

However, the worse problem is that even when the speeds and pings are showing OK, web browsing is terribly laggy and inconsistent. Pages often take 1-3 seconds before starting to load, sometimes don't load at all (but then do when I hit F5), or sometimes part-load (e.g. fail to display some in-page images). Other internet operations (e.g. emails downloading by Outlook) are also slow or fail intermittently.

I've spoken twice to the Virgin Media far-far-away 'helpdesk' who have run through the regular routine of rebooting/resetting the modem by sending a config file through to it, but it is still the same.

Any suggestions from you helpful people...?

By way of info, I'm in Bromley on the ex-NTL kit (Area Ref 20). I've got a V+ and additional standard TV box hanging off the cable, as well as the broadband (all in separate rooms, so presumably two splitters). By the way - are splitters supported to be weather-proofed in any way, as one of ours is completely exposed outside the house...?

Modem stats are:

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : <removed>
Serial Number : <removed>
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9

Cable Modem Status
Acquire a Downstream Channel 586750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -10.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 27.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25808000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

From the bit of research which I did yesterday, would I be correct in thinking that the Downstream Receive Power Level is very low at -10.5 dBmV ?

Sorry the the long 1st post - but any suggestions gratefully received.

Feenix
01-10-2009, 09:48
Downstream SNR : 27.5 dB --> Ouch! That is way too low. Get back on to tech support m8.

Splitters are used exposed internally only, or in an 'omni' box - plastic box with removable lid - externally. In theory.

jamesmhunt
01-10-2009, 09:54
Well, the installer was a complete cowboy and is the subject of a complaint by me to VM (although no reply to my complaint email yet...) because he re-used /cut and joined several cables from my Sky install, and has therefore left me unable to watch the remaining material on my Sky+ box.

I guess the re-use of existing cables (which may not be to the same spec as proper VM cables) may be the root of the problem, as well as his shoddy workmanship.

:mad:

Feenix
03-10-2009, 03:52
Well, as a casual observer you can draw your own conclusions.

Have you spoken to tech support?