PDA

View Full Version : Oversubscribed UBRs

caph
30-09-2009, 20:48
I asked a while ago for a sticky thread to list oversubscribed UBRs and to highlight the fact that Virgin are refusing point blank to relieve oversubscription in some areas.

It was refused and yet again I am replying to someone who has been suffering for a year on what he now suspects is an oversubscribed UBR which is in fact definitely an oversubscribed UBR and has been for, unsurprisingly, a year now.

Can we not have a sticky?

People need to be made aware that there are some UBRs on Virgin's network that are unusably slow and Virgin have shown no intention of relieving this.

I'll start if off with the following.

BASF3 - Lucky to get 1Mb. Date from - September 2008.

Please add UBRs to this thread but only if the oversubscription has been confirmed by Tech Support on the newsgroup. Also please add UBRs that have had relief work carried out and are once again usable.

MK1
30-09-2009, 21:15
I think it's an excellent idea to warn people what they may be getting into.

sollp
30-09-2009, 21:34
VM Will be starting up the UBR relief programmes again soon so maybe we could also have a sticky of what particular UBR's have been upgraded, and those upgraded when customers where not aware of any plans, so a nice surprise type sticky as well, just to keep it well balanced of course.

Welshchris
30-09-2009, 22:44
oh yeah Virgin are really gonna make a list of how bad areas are lol

broadbandking
01-10-2009, 19:15
Very true Chris, you will never get a certain list of what UBR's are oversubcribed.

sollp
01-10-2009, 19:47
oh yeah Virgin are really gonna make a list of how bad areas are lol

So how exactly do they know what areas need to be upgraded then, there obviously are not going to publish everyknow issue, just like BT wouldn't or any other company.

They know exactly what needs doing and where.

broadbandking
01-10-2009, 22:02
So how exactly do they know what areas need to be upgraded then, there obviously are not going to publish everyknow issue, just like BT wouldn't or any other company.

They know exactly what needs doing and where.

Of course they know but I think Chris was meaning they aren't going to make a list public

sollp
01-10-2009, 23:07
Of course they know but I think Chris was meaning they aren't going to make a list public

Well i've commented on that as well.

caph
03-10-2009, 21:21
Just to be clear. The idea was for this to be a thread for customers to post a list of UBRs that they have personally had confirmed as being oversubscribed by VM.

Could we please just keep the posts to oversubscribed UBRs?

Thanks.

The PIT
03-10-2009, 21:29
Good idea.

All in all it's probably illegal for Virgin to knowingly to sell people services on over subscribed UBRs. They did it too me and it took months before a technician admitted that I was sold a service that could never be provided.

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 21:31
I asked a while ago for a sticky thread to list oversubscribed UBRs and to highlight the fact that Virgin are refusing point blank to relieve oversubscription in some areas.

It was refused and yet again I am replying to someone who has been suffering for a year on what he now suspects is an oversubscribed UBR which is in fact definitely an oversubscribed UBR and has been for, unsurprisingly, a year now.

Can we not have a sticky?

People need to be made aware that there are some UBRs on Virgin's network that are unusably slow and Virgin have shown no intention of relieving this.

I'll start if off with the following.

BASF3 - Lucky to get 1Mb. Date from - September 2008.

Please add UBRs to this thread but only if the oversubscription has been confirmed by Tech Support on the newsgroup. Also please add UBRs that have had relief work carried out and are once again usable.

Why do you think the price, is so "cheap" ?

Ignitionnet
03-10-2009, 23:36
Why do you think the price, is so "cheap" ?

That is the first and only use of the words price and cheap in this thread. Are you alright?

webcrawler2050
03-10-2009, 23:48
That is the first and only use of the words price and cheap in this thread. Are you alright?

Sorry, didn't make any sense.. UBR's are over contended for a reason.. thus, why do you think broadband is so cheap

xocemp
04-10-2009, 01:23
oohhhh I'm getting popcorn for this one.

Ignitionnet
04-10-2009, 08:29
Sorry, didn't make any sense.. UBR's are over contended for a reason.. thus, why do you think broadband is so cheap

OK now I see what you mean - the punctuation made it hard to understand. I don't agree with it and point to solip's post, the engineers have been doing 50M work meanwhile VM have uplifted most of their customer base to 5 times the speed, and that some areas are difficult to upgrade and may be left behind as they aren't worth the cost. Overall the HSI service makes money though and some node splits won't kill that profitability.

broadbandking
04-10-2009, 09:59
Good idea.

All in all it's probably illegal for Virgin to knowingly to sell people services on over subscribed UBRs. They did it too me and it took months before a technician admitted that I was sold a service that could never be provided.

Thats why they sell the service as upto

webcrawler2050
04-10-2009, 12:03
No it's not illegal - they can put you where they like. Even if it's over contended or not. Just like "Unlimited" Hosting - oversell as much as possible..

The PIT
04-10-2009, 21:41
Thats why they sell the service as upto

There's a difference between up to and no chance at all.

webcrawler2050
04-10-2009, 22:13
There's a difference between up to and no chance at all.

Well, even then with "no chance" they will still add more to it