PDA

View Full Version : 48,000 On Laptop 20,000 On desktop

Input Overload
30-09-2009, 16:51
I upgraded yesterday to 50 MegBit, I had achieved around 19 MegBits on the 20 MegBit supply which was quite consistent. After upgrading yesterday I now only get around 16 - 18 on my wired desktop. Yet if I plug one of my laptops in via Ethernet (as my desktop is) into the router I get a constant 48 MegBit. My PC is a 3200 AMD with 2 gig matched crucial RAM, about 1TB of total space with 30 Gig spare on C:\. The laptops are just used for browsing and are 1.9 Intels. I have updated my driver to the VIA network chip, tried a network card with the internal chip disabled yet no difference.

I'm actually getting a worse speed now on 50 on my desk than I was on 20. Removing the router and plugging the modem direct into my desk makes no difference so I can count the D-link router out. When I check mt Network setting my link to the modem is 100 Full Duplex, with Vista saying there are no problems. I've tried with the Eset Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus disabled & other background progs.

Any ideas? I have Vista 32 Premium, and the PC runs very well apart from this issue. I have changed all cables & re-booted the router several times. I tried the TCP optimiser but found it made things worse so I restored the reigistry before it was used. Apart from this annoyance I'm delighted with Virgin as I'm 4km from the exchange & was lucky to get 1 MegBit on ADSL. Fiber is great!

Peter_
30-09-2009, 20:04
Have you checked you duplex settings on your network card, it should be set to 100mbps/full duplex as per this link.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Input Overload
01-10-2009, 09:54
Thanks for that Moldova, the Net Chip was set on Auto so I reset it to 100 duplex, I also ran the TCP Optimiser, although I have been told it's not really necessary with Vista.

But just once on the 'Max Bandwidth' speed test the needle instead of stuttering and hovering about 512 then going up, went straight to 48,000 & stayed there. (Just like my lappy's!). However I have been unable to re-create the experience. Mostly 14,000 - 19,000 after some stuttering. I restored an image back to before I ran the optimiser & again reset the Net chip to 100 duplex but thing haven't changed.

Pogo stick
01-10-2009, 18:18
I have two desktops and a laptop running from our 20Mb connection and was having problems with speed on the desktops. Tried everything recommended and nothing seemed to work. However one day I was looking at the background processes and decided to uninstall Itunes. Whammo! Both desktop speeds restored to around 15Mb over the wireless connection.

Could be worth uninstalling Itunes if you have it and see what happens?

Input Overload
01-10-2009, 18:45
After 2 hours on the phone where we checked all my PC & as Pogo stick suggested we closed all non essential services & then checked their network & after much pinging it seems there is a fault from the cabinet to my house. A person is coming Saturday to fix. I got excellent service from Virgin tech, the best tech service I have ever had actually.