PDA

View Full Version : Up and downstream Channel Questions

Welshchris
30-09-2009, 00:10
Right i have a question about channels on up and downstream

From what i understand when a modem locks on it locks on to any number of channels available in the area.

Ive been having problems for well over a month now where they say its upstream power level but ive noticed something which has never happened before.

EVERYTIME! my modem has rebooted for the past 2-3 weeks its always locked str8 back onto the same up and downstream channels where as before it didnt.

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 78
Downstream Frequency : 315000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.1 dB

Could this be a problem in itself?

xocemp
30-09-2009, 03:01
Channel ID for upstream that you see is used for load balancing, if there was to much load on your upstream ALB would move you to a upstream with more bandwidth.
For example:
Channel ID 1 47400000 Hz
Channel ID 2 33000000 Hz

Since your on the next Gen kit there is more than enough bandwidth, the channel ID/frequency range makes no difference to your upstream power. This is not a "problem in itself".

Welshchris
30-09-2009, 03:41
They have even sent me a new modem AGAIN! they said...

"Our network teams cannot find a fault and i can see from ur records ur modem is old so i will get one set to u, please allow 7-10 days for delivery"

I then posted back.

"My modem was changed on 18th of August and is an Ambit 256."

They posted back

"Apologies i must have got ur account mixed up with someone elses".

Since then they are aware theres a problem somewhere as they have admitted to but no one can track it down ANYWHERE!. Some days i dont get any bother what so ever as i explained to them and then other days like for example like a few days ago, i was in and out all day but while in i witnessed from midnight to 11pm the following night no less than 7 modem reboots where the sync was lost and wouldnt lock back on and if it did lock on the ready light would flash sometimes as long as 5hrs which i witnessed once.

Ignitionnet
30-09-2009, 10:37
Channel ID for upstream that you see is used for load balancing, if there was to much load on your upstream ALB would move you to a upstream with more bandwidth.
For example:
Channel ID 1 47400000 Hz
Channel ID 2 33000000 Hz

Since your on the next Gen kit there is more than enough bandwidth, the channel ID/frequency range makes no difference to your upstream power. This is not a "problem in itself".

Also worth noting that most if not all areas have only 1 upstream frequency per node available to the next gen kit at the moment and recycle the same frequency across the different nodes.