PDA

View Full Version : I need help getting a stable upload speed on 50MB

Ear
27-09-2009, 17:57
Hi

Can anyone here give any suggesttions on how to make the 50mb upload speed of 1700Kbps stay stable. I stream content live onto the internet at a speed of about 600Kbps and while it works for maybe 15 minutes it suddenly slows down to a standstill and the stream is no longer watchable. I tried lowering the upload speed to a fraction of my max available (only 300Kbps) and again it does the same thing. There have been days where I can stream for an hour or two before the lag kicks in but its very rare.

When I do a speed test prior to streaming it reaches a minimum of 1700. Then I stream live and within 15 minutes the lag starts. So I cut the stream and do various speed tests and my upload speed has been cut in half and can barely get over 600-700Kbps.

I then have to restart the router to get my original upload speed back. And repeat the same process.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is as its really stressing me out. Virgin Medias website said this connection would be perfect for live streaming and it isn't.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

I'm plugged directly into the modem, not a router, through the ethernet cable.

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:07
The site meant that it was great for streaming from the internet, not streaming to it. Virgin don't really 'do' uploading as we've noticed, always bare minimum necessary to support the downstream.

I've no idea how to keep it stable, I find it very jaggy myself.

Ear
27-09-2009, 18:11
Not being able to keep it stable at 300Kbps seems crazy given the max available speed?

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:17
Not being able to keep it stable at 300Kbps seems crazy given the max available speed?

Yep.

What version of firmware is the modem on?

Software Version : 3.11.1011 is latest and greatest.

Also http://192.168.100.1/CmUpstream.asp

Any T3 timeouts?

Ear
27-09-2009, 18:21
US-1 is showing T3 Timeouts 3

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Software Version : 3.11.1011

Ignitionnet
27-09-2009, 18:57
Ask the newsgroups guys to check your upstream SNR and stuff, they might be more informative. Counters on your modem are fine, firmware version is ok.

pip08456
27-09-2009, 21:46
Upstream/upload they are both basically the same You will never get the full up speed with any ISP as there are added overheads which need to be taken into consideration such as AKS etc. You should set your up speed to a max of 80% available to allow for these or you are just choking you're connection.

Ear
27-09-2009, 23:44
I have problems when setting it to 20% of the max. Newsgroups?

pip08456
28-09-2009, 00:20
80% of the max, the 20% is kept for the overheads.

Ignitionnet
28-09-2009, 09:29
Upstream/upload they are both basically the same You will never get the full up speed with any ISP as there are added overheads which need to be taken into consideration such as AKS etc. You should set your up speed to a max of 80% available to allow for these or you are just choking you're connection.

The guy is uploading only, the acks will be downloaded so aren't an issue and he's streaming which will be using UDP so no acks anyway. The guy can't even sustain 300kbps.

The issue you are talking about is one where saturating the upstream kills the downstream, this issue is where it's impossible to saturate the upstream for any length of time.

Ear
15-10-2009, 12:02
Just discovered something. I have two connections at my house, one is 20mb and the other is 50mb.

On the 50mb connection I can rarely stream higher than 350kbps and even when I do it lags. On the 20mb connection I can leave a stream on for a whole day at 650kbps and it will have absolutely no issues.

I called virgin and they seem to have trouble understanding this. I was told 'we don't support uploads'.

Ignitionnet
15-10-2009, 12:11
Just discovered something. I have two connections at my house, one is 20mb and the other is 50mb.

On the 50mb connection I can rarely stream higher than 350kbps and even when I do it lags. On the 20mb connection I can leave a stream on for a whole day at 650kbps and it will have absolutely no issues.

I called virgin and they seem to have trouble understanding this. I was told 'we don't support uploads'.

Yes, well, anyone who sees the poor excuse for upload they offer on their services will have noticed that.

Pop onto the newsgroups me old mucka, they should have some more understanding than the Punjabi Allstars.

Ear
30-06-2010, 17:18
The latest firmware upgrade from Virgin Media which they are trialling on the forums appears to fix this issue. I tested it prior to having it pushed to my modem and the issue was still there. After the upgrade was sent to my modem I was able to stream at 1200Kbps over a few hours with absolutely no issues. Thank God they finally fixed it...