PDA

View Full Version : VM IPs blocked by my firewall

deuse
25-09-2009, 23:03
Hi all

The last few days I have had VM or people on cable blocked by my firewall.
I did a Whois of the two IPs and they was both cable ubr 07 and ubr 011(I am on ubr 07).
Now these are either VM or two of there customers.

So what do I do? let my firewall keep blocking them or let them past it?.

I am stumped one this one, so a bit of help would be good please.

thanks

By the way I don't use P2P programs.

Ignitionnet
25-09-2009, 23:34
Just leave things as they are. Your stuff is working ok I presume so obviously you've no requirement to let them in.

Put it this way, you have no idea who these people are so it makes no sense to let them past your firewall and onto your network. Same as you wouldn't let someone you don't know into your home.

deuse
25-09-2009, 23:40
Thanks for the info mate.
I just did not know if it was VM trying to update the modem or something like that.

Toto
26-09-2009, 08:58
I just did not know if it was VM trying to update the modem or something like that.

Cable can be a very "chatty" network, particularly if there are hosts that are infected with Trojans and the like. You're best leaving your firewall is it is, just as Broadbandings said.

Raistlin
26-09-2009, 10:59
What they said.

You wouldn't open your front door and leave it open all day and night just because someone you don't know keeps knocking on it ;)

Graham M
26-09-2009, 11:17

If VM need to update the Modem, it does not need to come anywhere near your firewall