PDA

View Full Version : New Virgin customer, need advice re: fresh install.

sj985
24-09-2009, 21:32
Greetings,

I am completely new to cable...I understand how it works etc but am keen to know HOW the cable is installed from the termination points on the kerbside to the box on the side of your house.

I would like to know the following, if possible:-

1. Outside my house there is a line of concrete slabs, no more than 6 inches high and 3 inches thick, sitting in front of the CATV point. Will the Virgin tech dig under this and then create a trench to run the cable completely underground to my house?

2. How is the cable to the house connected to the street cabling at the CATV point?

Hope my questions don't baffle you! :dunce:

Thanks!

adzii_nufc
25-09-2009, 08:38
1) From the Green Box they will feed a cable Underground in a black Tube that presumably is already built. This cable will come up via a black Sink outside of your house

The VM techie will pick the Most Appropriate way to get it up your garden etc. he then Connects it to another cable Inside A little box On the wall of your house. This Other cable will then lead to the room of your choice and Into a Nice Shiny Modem... Complete :)

Kymmy
25-09-2009, 08:54
1) From the Green Box they will feed a cable Underground in a black Tube that presumably is already built. This cable will come up via a black Sink outside of your house

The VM techie will pick the Most Appropriate way to get it up your garden etc. he then Connects it to another cable Inside A little box On the wall of your house. This Other cable will then lead to the room of your choice and Into a Nice Shiny Modem... Complete :)

And all that coming from a guy who wasn;t sure how to wire up an satellite :D

The cable from where it enters your property (garden/drive) is normally buried in a green conduit, if they can't bury it then they'll discuss this option with you. it eventually goes to a grey box attached to the outside of the house/flat and then one or two cables (depends if you're getting telephone as well as TV/Broadband) will go along the outside from the box till it comes to the point of entry (normally a hole they drill in the wall.) from there they'll route it to where you want it (within reason)

adzii_nufc
25-09-2009, 12:53
Lol I was half sure how to do it.. i was just checking i wasnt going to blow something up :P

But yeh Pretty Simple Job

sj985
26-09-2009, 16:23
Thanks for your replies....helpful responses so far.

Further questions though!

If I have the street CATV point for my house on the kerbside but no box on the outside of my house (yet), is there already a conduit connecting the street CATV point to my house, or is this when the VM tech needs to dig underground to lay the conduit AND the cable?

Make sense?

joglynne
26-09-2009, 17:19
If you haven't already got a VM box attached to the front of your house it's unlikely that any conduit is present so the techs will need to lay your cable from the CATV point. As Kummy and adzii_nufc say in their posts, the cable should be laid underground where possible.

Cable_Vince
03-10-2009, 18:37
Can I tag on to this thread?

I have ordered the broadband/TV/phone package from Virgin. Can you advise what the cable types are? Is it CT100 that is used?

Reason I ask is that I will need the cable to travel through a few rooms. I thought I could have the cable in place for the installers so that they can just connect it to the box on the outside of the house, and save themselves a bit of time.

Any advice on what cabling I should have ready for them would be appreciated.

Thanks