PDA

View Full Version : My 20meg Is Slower Than Friends 10meg!!

Rowan88
23-09-2009, 00:08
Hi,

I have Virgin Media 20meg broadband installed. My friend has 10meg.
I have the new black modem, he says he has an old blue-ish one.

Basically we use it on Xbox Live, one of the main concerns is we both go to download something from the marketplace at the same time, for some reason, he gets it alot quicker than me, almost takes me 2-3 times longer.

I was going through a router at first and so was he, so I decided to try just a straight modem to xbox connection, still as slow.

Can anyone shed a bit of light as why im not getting full speeds through my xbox from a straight connection to the modem?

Weird thing is when I downloaded something from a torrent site I managed to get it going to 2.1MB/s which is my maximum connection and he only gets 1.1MB/s

Thanks and all help is greatly appreciated,

Scott

adzii_nufc
23-09-2009, 04:03
Ah Sounds Like he Has The Old NTL 250... My experience with them is they can keep a more stable speed than VM's Also I believe you can run 20mb's on One

Anyone Clarify?

Ignitionnet
23-09-2009, 08:47
Yes you can, but no they aren't more stable. They are close relations of one another also, made by the same company, similar chipsets, etc.

Marketplace may allocate different servers to people depending on their IP address, and your mate is allocated a lower loaded server than yourself. Marketplace is not going to be hosted on a single box even if it has the same IP to everyone.

That's probably it anyways something related to load balancing.

Rowan88
23-09-2009, 09:29
Last night I ended up hooking in my router, disabled the SPI Firewall on it, enabled DMZ to the xbox ip and and enabled UPnP.

It downloaded alot faster, took around 15 seconds.

As far as it goes with the download server, it does it all the time, has done for months. Different things on the marketplace etc.

But I find that weird that it was faster with the router than direct modem lol.

I remember when I stayed with my mum we had the old silver NTL modem and it was brilliant, top speeds all the time.

Is there a way I can get the older ones or fix the new ones to have better speeds?

I seem that you can buy them on eBay lol for around £10, is it worth it ?

Or if I phoned them would they give me the older blue 250 model

adzii_nufc
23-09-2009, 09:54
Im not 100% sure But i have 2 of the 250 models here and One of them wont work with the Connection im one I believe this is due to the Mac Address Not being registered to me

Anything you know about that Broadbandings?

Ignitionnet
23-09-2009, 10:07
Im not 100% sure But i have 2 of the 250 models here and One of them wont work with the Connection im one I believe this is due to the Mac Address Not being registered to me

Anything you know about that Broadbandings?

Modems get disabled when replaced, they also need enabling when sent out. If it didn't run that way anyone could get a modem from eBay and it'd work straight out of the box, on someone else's account.

The 256 is fine. Modems from eBay won't work without 'modifications'.

adzii_nufc
23-09-2009, 10:09
Thank you, Repped

Rowan88
23-09-2009, 10:24
So how could I make this any better?

Also what are the best settings for the Xbox via a Netgear WNR2000

Rowan88
25-09-2009, 20:24
Ok heres an update:

I went and got my Belkin G+ MIMO router that was working fine in my mums house before I moved.

I set it all up enabling UPnP and DMZ with xbox ip etc.

Its still the same speed so its definetly not the Netgear router.... it must be the Virgin Media modem.

Is there anything I can do to make the modem better or tests etc.... all ive done is unplug it for 5mins and replug it but same problem.

Ignitionnet
25-09-2009, 22:31
There are no user configurable options on the modem I'm afraid, it's Virgin's kit and they run it :(

Rowan88
26-09-2009, 09:17
So is it worth phoning about, I mean what do I tell them...

When I plug into my xbox im not getting my full speed.

Toto
26-09-2009, 11:49
So is it worth phoning about, I mean what do I tell them...

When I plug into my xbox im not getting my full speed.

You could try, but I wouldn't waste my breath. There can be any number of reasons why you are getting problems, some will likely rest with VM's network. The sad truth though is that if your connection is stable, and your general speed is near to what you are paying for, that is as much as VM will support.

Rowan88
26-09-2009, 17:27
I phoned them there and after ages explaining to the woman who clearly was reading off a screen and was confused as hell, finally said what they will do is up my signal and I should get 20meg rather than 7meg in a few hours.

.... few hours past, no difference.

Phoned back, got a guy who clearly was the most enraging man ive ever met, knew nothing and clearly didnt care at all..

All he could say to me was that he will get an engineer out on monday to fix my internet speed......

pjcoop
26-09-2009, 18:39
I upgraded from 10Mbs to 20Mbs - had ALL SORTS of problems - was very slow... etc...
Finally went to 50Mbs which is fine (usually get about 42Mbs).
I think you are basically routed to different kit when you go to 50Mbs which is much better.

Toto
26-09-2009, 19:48
I phoned them there and after ages explaining to the woman who clearly was reading off a screen and was confused as hell, finally said what they will do is up my signal and I should get 20meg rather than 7meg in a few hours.

.... few hours past, no difference.

Phoned back, got a guy who clearly was the most enraging man ive ever met, knew nothing and clearly didnt care at all..

All he could say to me was that he will get an engineer out on monday to fix my internet speed......

Well that's new!

I never knew that they could up your signal strength over the phone.

I'd be annoyed as well mate, that's just not good.

Rowan88
26-09-2009, 19:51
.... well they never lol, so technically shes a lying b**** lol

I made another topic on another little issue I want t fix so if your any good with it please help lol...