PDA

View Full Version : Sent Free Router in Error

haydnwalker
22-09-2009, 18:41
Guys,

I recently got sent a free Netgear WNR2000 by Virgin due to upgrading my service From 10Mb M to XL (online - which doesn't tell you what you will be paying I noted) so I phoned to cancel it.

Today however, I've received the "Free" router that came with the upgraded XL package.

I'm guessing that I should send it back. However, I've just phoned up CS and the nice lady in India said I could keep it... I don't want a bill though, so I'm going to phone back when I might get the UK call centre to double check.

Do you think this is the right thing to do or should I just take the Indian CS rep's word for it?

After frequenting this forum for a few years now, I've seen many threads where the indian call centre have told customers things that weren't true just because they didn't know the answer to the question, so I just want to cover my backside really...

pigpen
22-09-2009, 18:45
I was told when I got my router that it was mine to keep/sell/do as I please. This was from a UK rep.

haydnwalker
22-09-2009, 18:50
Sorry I forgot to add that I didn't actually want to go ahead with the upgrade, I clicked the button to order by accident.

I phoned CS to downgrade back to 10mb but they still sent the router out to me. Its the fact they still sent the router even though I downgraded back to 10mb. I just don't want them to charge me as I'm not on the 20mb contract (i cancelled it within the 7day grace period)

Peter_
22-09-2009, 19:11
Sorry I forgot to add that I didn't actually want to go ahead with the upgrade, I clicked the button to order by accident.

I phoned CS to downgrade back to 10mb but they still sent the router out to me. Its the fact they still sent the router even though I downgraded back to 10mb. I just don't want them to charge me as I'm not on the 20mb contract (i cancelled it within the 7day grace period)
It is unlikely that they will ask you to return it so do not worry and a note should have been added to your account accordingly.

If worried just ring up to get an agent to verify its in the notes about your previous call.

deathtrap3000
22-09-2009, 20:21
If you arent going to use it, would you mind sending it to me?

I would pay for delivery. lol.

haydnwalker
22-09-2009, 20:35

If I can keep it I will use it as my Linksys G router is on its way out - keeps dropping the WLAN connections (its not a signal issue as it drops even if i'm in the same room)

Moldova: Thanks, I am going to double check tomorrow and if I can keep it then great!

CycoSymz
22-09-2009, 21:30

That's what I was about to ask :D

haydnwalker
23-09-2009, 09:21
Well... just spoken to CS again (still got india though) and a different agent told me the same thing - That they don't collect them, and that I can keep it.

He also made a point of saying "it wouldn't work anyway" - because I cancelled the 20mb - which I know isn't true because its only a router not a modem.

So Thanks VM I've now got a new router (which I need now as WLAN has gone completely :()

joglynne
23-09-2009, 12:13
Nice outcome. You must be one of the few customers of Virgin Media to ever get a free gift. :D

Pantsu-san
23-09-2009, 12:45
So Thanks VM I've now got a new router (which I need now as WLAN has gone completely :()

Don't expect the WNR2000 to be stable as it chokes at the first opportunity causing wireless clients to be dumped. I've been through two of them and they both behave the same - poorly.

zing_deleted
23-09-2009, 13:02
I do not have any probs with mine but I do not use wireless anyway as ive never had much luck with it. My house is wired where it needs to be :)

haydnwalker
23-09-2009, 15:43
Well I've phoned them a third time (as I was a bit paranoid at how easy the indian CS reps just said "keep it"), and spoken to the UK call centre, and first they wanted it sent back (in a jiffy bag at their expense) and now theyve just phoned me back and said I was going to be charged (£50) for it, but as it was their error, I can keep it and have a £50 credit on my bill so its essentially free (if they do the credit :)).

I hope its better than my linksys that just died a death on the WiFi font. I think I'll look for any Firmware updates for it before I use it properly, as 802.11n is a ratified standard now so they might have ironed some bugs out of it :)

Peter_
23-09-2009, 17:39
Well I've phoned them a third time (as I was a bit paranoid at how easy the indian CS reps just said "keep it"), and spoken to the UK call centre, and first they wanted it sent back (in a jiffy bag at their expense) and now theyve just phoned me back and said I was going to be charged (£50) for it, but as it was their error, I can keep it and have a £50 credit on my bill so its essentially free (if they do the credit :)).

I knew you would be allowed to keep it and good to see that they have credited you back.;)

pigpen
23-09-2009, 22:31
Don't expect the WNR2000 to be stable as it chokes at the first opportunity causing wireless clients to be dumped. I've been through two of them and they both behave the same - poorly.

So its not just me then :) I re-employed my WRT54GL elsewhere in the house for wireless so I can now get a better signal in the garden. Despite the 'Rangemax' moniker on the WNR the wireless range is cack compared to the old WRT!

haydnwalker
23-09-2009, 22:38
The RangeMax only works with Netgear RangeMax NICs according to the documentation. My MacBook Pro is the only N device we have, so just happy for the extended range in the house, I'm not looking for anything super-duper. If I don't like the Netgear I'll sell it and buy the D-Link DIR 655 that I was looking at :)

pigpen
23-09-2009, 23:13
I tried using the supplied USB dongle that came with the router and the wireless dongle we already had and there wasn't much of a difference. I'm still using the Netgear dongle only because I'm too lazy to uninstall/reinstall a set of drivers again.

pcdave21
24-09-2009, 04:52
If I don't like the Netgear I'll sell it and buy the D-Link DIR 655 that I was looking at :)

Exactly what I done, it's an awesome router. Gigabit lan :D