PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie

ElviraKate
14-09-2009, 17:53
We're thinking of taking the plunge and going for the Virgin works, phone, broadband and tv. How does the cabling work? Does it all come in at one point and have to be extended internally to the various machines? The BT line it will be replacing is near the front door, so broadband and phone should be OK as long as the wireless router works, but the television is in another room on the other side of the house. Will they run cabling through the house somehow? Would they link into the present aerial run (which has a socket in the front of the house)?

confused, hoping for enlightenment

Kate

homealone
14-09-2009, 18:07
:welcome:

The (twin) cable is connected to a box on the outside of your property & split from there.

Broadband & TV are carried down the same cable, the 'phone down the other.

The installers should be able to split the broadband/tv & take the TV cable round the outside of the property (if possible), but they won't take it over a roof if you have a terraced house. In that case it will have to be routed internally & clipped to the skirting. The existing cable for the TV aerial isn't suitable for broadband/tv, but they may be able to use it to pull through the new one?

As far as I know they are not allowed to remove any existing BT installed cables/boxes.

You mention a router - you will need to check it is compatible with cable/dsl for it to work with Virgin cable.

coiled_viper_kee
10-10-2009, 21:33
well when you sign upto virgin broadband fibre optic you will get the router free with the package you order im having my virgin tv bband and phone line installed on monday and they sent me a free wireless n router in the post hope this clears anything up for you