PDA

View Full Version : any advice for xbox user

merlintt
11-09-2009, 09:33
Hello i`m new to the forum and i appreciate this has probably been asked before but i would be grateful for any help:dunce:

i have a virgin 50 meg connection using thier modem,i live in the bedford area sg postcode and my xbox is plugged straight into my modem(i have a pc at home but don`t use much)

Is there anything i should be aware of regards any modem settings that may improve my online gaming?

As i said the connection is primarily used for an xbox360?

Can return the favour with any questions about natural gas:D

pazor
11-09-2009, 10:47
What problems are you having ? I use my 360 through the netgear router that VM gave me when i went 50mb. Apart from my recent problems with my connection i have never had any probs playing online.

merlintt
11-09-2009, 11:01
not having any specific probs,play gears 2 alot which seems to have its own problems.Its just i haven`t got a clue about any of this stuff,just wondered if i could be doing anything

pazor
11-09-2009, 14:50
I havent heard of anything mate, although there are many better suited to answer this.

Andrewsean2006
11-09-2009, 19:27
Hi everyone. My dad has recently subscribed to Virgin Media's 50mb Broadband and I can't connect my 360 using the wireless adapter because it won;t find the network, so I was wondering if I could connect using the ethernet cable? We have the Netgear WRN2000 Router. If so how do you do it??

This may of been asked a trillion times but i really don't know what to do.

Thankyou.

Taf
11-09-2009, 20:15
My daughter just plugs her XBOX into the ethernet socket I put in her room (just an extension from the router in our room).

Andrewsean2006
11-09-2009, 20:19
My daughter just plugs her XBOX into the ethernet socket I put in her room (just an extension from the router in our room).

Is that with the Netgear WRN2000? I don't know how to find new networks either lol

Should it find the connection straight away?

NEONKNIGHT
11-09-2009, 21:45
Hi everyone. My dad has recently subscribed to Virgin Media's 50mb Broadband and I can't connect my 360 using the wireless adapter because it won;t find the network, so I was wondering if I could connect using the ethernet cable? We have the Netgear WRN2000 Router. If so how do you do it??

This may of been asked a trillion times but i really don't know what to do.

Thankyou.

If your xbox360 wireless adapter isn't finding your home network that will be because your dad has the SSID hidden (name of your network is not broadcast) . Just type in the name of your wireless network into the xbox360 settings, you'll probably need the WPA or WEP encryption code aswell, Again get the info from your dad. ;)

Andrewsean2006
11-09-2009, 22:13
If your xbox360 wireless adapter isn't finding your home network that will be because your dad has the SSID hidden (name of your network is not broadcast) . Just type in the name of your wireless network into the xbox360 settings, you'll probably need the WPA or WEP encryption code aswell, Again get the info from your dad. ;)

Thankyou :) If i do it wired what would I have do? I just want to know options ;) Would it be easier doing it wired? if so what would I do?

aaa rick
11-09-2009, 22:37
You just plug xbox straight into router using your ethernet cable ,wich comes with your xbox.

NEONKNIGHT
11-09-2009, 22:47
Thankyou :) If i do it wired what would I have do? I just want to know options ;) Would it be easier doing it wired? if so what would I do?

Not sure about wired connections - its been so long since I connected my xbox360 that way. If you want, what I would suggest is leave all settings on your xbox360 set to automatic then connect your xbox360 to your router with the ethernet cable but make sure everything is switched off first - modem, router and xbox360 then turn them on in order- modem (wait a few minutes), router (again wait a few minutes) then xbox360 and try to connect to xboxlive. Any problems post back. ;)

Andrewsean2006
11-09-2009, 23:00
Not sure about wired connections - its been so long since I connected my xbox360 that way. If you want, what I would suggest is leave all settings on your xbox360 set to automatic then connect your xbox360 to your router with the ethernet cable but make sure everything is switched off first - modem, router and xbox360 then turn them on in order- modem (wait a few minutes), router (again wait a few minutes) then xbox360 and try to connect to xboxlive. Any problems post back. ;)

Will do mate.. Thankyou. It's just that we did have sky broadband and it was so easy connecting to Live but since we got the 50mb Virgin Media broadband and the Netgear WRN2000 router it's bloody hard lol. Something I have heard is that apparently the connection is hidden because obviously it's an "N" network and is not visible what so ever! But you have to do something on the 360 to find new connections? I don't know what they mean?? :confused:

NEONKNIGHT
11-09-2009, 23:09
Will do mate.. Thankyou. It's just that we did have sky broadband and it was so easy connecting to Live but since we got the 50mb Virgin Media broadband and the Netgear WRN2000 router it's bloody hard lol. Something I have heard is that apparently the connection is hidden because obviously it's an "N" network and is not visible what so ever! But you have to do something on the 360 to find new connections? I don't know what they mean?? :confused:

The xbox360 wireless adapter supports wireless standards 802.11b & 802.11g but saying that it will still work with the 50Mb N wireless - I should know mine does! :) I do think your wireless problem is down to the fact that you need to input your home network name and encryption code into your xbox360 settings - don't forget to post back with whatever connection you use, there's always someone here to help.;)

caph
12-09-2009, 13:44
Something I have heard is that apparently the connection is hidden because obviously it's an "N" network and is not visible what so ever!

N is backwardly compatible with b and g. Just make sure the router is set to allow b and g connections, it is possible to set the router to only accept n connections for speed reasons. That's worth a check.

As far as I am aware the 360 adapter does not support WPA2 security. Check your router is not set to only accept WPA2. You'll need to set it to WPA or mixed WPA/WPA2. Personally I reckon this is the problem since WPA2 is the latest and greatest in terms of security so it is more than likely that this is the default setting.

As others have said, check your router is broadcasting your SSID, it is usually a tickbox on the wireless settings page.

To the original poster, hard wired direct to a cable 50Mb modem is currently the best way to maximise your 360 connection in a residential environment. You really can't get any better!

NEONKNIGHT
12-09-2009, 22:05
A nice simple guide with pictures showing how to set up a wired or wireless connection for your xbox360 can be found here:-http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/broadband_gaming/xbox_360_connection_guide.shtml

:)

Peter_
12-09-2009, 22:08
A nice simple guide with pictures showing how to set up a wired or wireless connection for your xbox360 can be found here:-http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/broadband_gaming/xbox_360_connection_guide.shtml

:)
Will that work with a Virginmedia connection as well.

NEONKNIGHT
12-09-2009, 22:26
Will that work with a Virginmedia connection as well.

Yes....... what are you trying to say? Come on spit it out.:)

Peter_
12-09-2009, 22:31
Yes....... what are you trying to say? Come on spit it out.:)
Nothing I think its a good post and only asked with it saying Plusnet when you click the link and thought it a good idea to ask so everyone can be aware that it works on Virgin.

Plus I do not have an Xbox so would not have a clue.

Oh and click the link below.

NEONKNIGHT
12-09-2009, 22:40
Nothing I think its a good post and only asked with it saying Plusnet when you click the link and thought it a good idea to ask so everyone can be aware that it works on Virgin.

Plus I do not have an Xbox so would not have a clue.

Oh and click the link below.

Clicked the link - cable forum city rulz!!! :cool:

You'll need to ask Father Christmas if you've been good enough for an xbox this year. :D

;)

Andrewsean2006
13-09-2009, 00:56
Hi, I did that but my connection is not showing on the list dude :( I tried the wired option and failed miserably too :'(

lowei
13-09-2009, 15:19
Try here
http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/broadband/cablecustomers.htm

Peter_
13-09-2009, 16:05
Try here
Option 3 on that site is no longer an option.

merlintt
08-10-2009, 10:14
Try here

Thank you,really helpful website.I have an xbox and pc but no req. to have both online at the same time.Got fed up with 50meg netgear routers and resetting my modem,followed the tip on how to give your xbox same physical address as pc,now I don`t have to reset my modem to switch between devices:)

bomber_g
08-10-2009, 15:15
This may seem like a daft thing to say now that you have decided to just switch the cables back and forth

do you have anything else that can search for wireless networks? (eg my phone can do it) if yes, see if anything else can see your router.

if you can't see it with anything else, the wireless facility is either
A - not switched on, and you need to log in and switch it on
or B - hidden, you need to log in and make it not hidden or read the previous post related to this

if you CAN see it with another device, then I'd say your X-box probably has a button on it somewhere that switches off the wireless function or it's broken (although I have no idea about X-boxes, these are just logical ways of checking whether the wireless function on your router works)

adzii_nufc
09-10-2009, 13:35
As A Semi Pro Gamer at one time, I was Running 2mb On the 360 with 0 Problems but the Obvious Server Hosting Issue Regarding the Upstream.

With 50mb Only about 6-7mb Is utilized With Gaming Consoles, With the 1.6 Upstream You Have You Shouldnt Experience Problems Hosting Sessions Either

My Advice, Running Direct Through Modem To the Ethernet Port Is the Best Option Clearly with my Results on 20mb and 50mb coming out at 6-7mbps

This is the same as the PS3 aswell,

My Experience With Wireless Normally Picks Up about 4mb on a 20mb Connection and 4-5 on the 50mb

As far as that goes there is nothing much you can tamper with regarding the Connection to the 360.

Also Note: If your recieving Lag In games.. Dont worry this Depends on Your Distance to the Host of the session and His Connection Quality, All of us Recieve lag now and then. One way to Clarify this is too ask other users when you are lagging if they are also having Problems

And you might want to Check These games out For great Online play

Rainbow Six Vegas 1
Gears Of War 2
GTA IV
HALO 3

These are Probably the most played Online games. + alot more

I hardly Experience any diffuculties on the above games

Like I said, There is No real way to Bump a 360 connection.. What you get is what you get.