PDA

View Full Version : 50meg set up fee!

Dep3
09-09-2009, 22:56
Hi all, I'm writing to you after coming right off the phone to customer services
in disgust. I rang them to upgrade to 50 meg and was told I would have to pay £50 for a guy to come out with a new modem and fit it, £18 for Virgin to turn it on so I can receive 50 meg and then from then on an extra £8 per month to enjoy the package.
Now, please bare in mind I've been with NTL and now Virgin for years and always had the highest possible broadband speed they supplied along with the phone line and recently the TV coming to a total of £58 plus per month after discount.
To get told it would cost an extra £68 and then the £8 per month is just a fooking kick in the balls!!
I have come off the damn phone very disheartened and seriously considering cancelling the whole lot. Can I grab some of you feed back on what I should do please.

BenMcr
09-09-2009, 23:00
It cost £50 to set up and activate XXL, so without sounding too brutal your choices are to pay the fee or not to pay the fee.

If you can persuade Virgin to give you a credit against the install/set up by threating to cancel then good luck, but there is no guarantee

Surprisingly enough as it is more of a service than the others, it also costs more a month.

Have fun trying to find a 50Mbit service from anyone else

REM
09-09-2009, 23:42
Just pay up. I wasn't keen when told about the £50 either, but as BenMcr points out, you won't get a similar service anywhere else.

Although I did hear on the Gadget Show a few weeks ago that some areas have 1Gb/s connections. I quick flight to Korea and you're set :)

homealone
10-09-2009, 00:07
Can I grab some of you feed back on what I should do please.

don't upgrade if you aren't prepared to pay the price, stay as you are & be happy :)

dd11
10-09-2009, 01:03
Although I did hear on the Gadget Show a few weeks ago that some areas have 1Gb/s connections. I quick flight to Korea and you're set :)

Yeah i saw that too! An it was for like just over £10 per month i think?

---------- Post added at 01:03 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

It's quite a bit of money yeah, but you do get a wireless N router & dongle, so its not all bad, tbh i think the router it comes with (well it was the Netgear WNR2000 that i got, iknow there changing the now i think) is great, i even got another for downstairs.

Toilet-Duck
10-09-2009, 01:22
I just upgraded with just the £20 activation charge, I only take VM Internet with them, so if you do haggle they will give you a discount without an additional 12 month contact ;)

Install date is just over a month though! Guess they are really busy with the offer!

Ignitionnet
10-09-2009, 08:39
I just upgraded with just the £20 activation charge, I only take VM Internet with them, so if you do haggle they will give you a discount without an additional 12 month contact ;)

Install date is just over a month though! Guess they are really busy with the offer!

That is interesting and surprising given that you aren't as profitable as someone on a triple play.

I guess they really are struggling to gain new customers and retain present ones and are very concerned about the internet product they've been saying is their main focus not growing anymore.

AbyssUnderground
10-09-2009, 10:08
Perhaps if there weren't so many issues with signal levels they could do more self-installs. I think more people would join if they did away with the setup fee through a self install.

broadband man
10-09-2009, 13:38
i work for virgin and have a staff account and they want to charge me £50 for install for the 50meg and we dont pay for install so you lot are getting a better deal lol

Billy-Bob
10-09-2009, 14:04

Now that's spooky...Just this morning:

I upgraded with just the £20 activation charge too! (The nice Scottish lady at the other end of the phone said they were currently waiving the £30 installation charge as a special offer)
I only take broadband with them too! (Currently 20Mb)
My install date is just over a month away too! (mid-October)

What do you mean about not having to sign an additional 12 month contract, though? I just assumed that I was agreeing to a new 12 month contract, but come to think of it, she didn't mention it...

Toilet-Duck
10-09-2009, 17:06
I made sure I asked if I had to re-sign up to a 12 month contract because I may be moving to Dubai in a few months time.. She said no additional 12 month contract it will be a rolling one so month by month which is really good :)

Peter_
10-09-2009, 17:10
What do you mean about not having to sign an additional 12 month contract, though? I just assumed that I was agreeing to a new 12 month contract, but come to think of it, she didn't mention it...

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

I made sure I asked if I had to re-sign up to a 12 month contract because I may be moving to Dubai in a few months time.. She said no additional 12 month contract it will be a rolling one so month by month which is really good :)
It says the following in the small print HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)

SERVICES AVAILABLE IN VIRGIN MEDIA CABLED STREETS ONLY.
Subject to network capacity, 12-month minimum term contract. If you cancel during the minimum contract period you will incur an early disconnection fee.

Sir John Luke
10-09-2009, 17:16

Hope you asked for that in writing.

ozsat
10-09-2009, 18:14
For the £50 fee - you get a new 'n' router, 'n' USB adaptor and new cable modem.

Toilet-Duck
10-09-2009, 18:46
---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

It says the following in the small print HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)

SERVICES AVAILABLE IN VIRGIN MEDIA CABLED STREETS ONLY.
Subject to network capacity, 12-month minimum term contract. If you cancel during the minimum contract period you will incur an early disconnection fee.

Well I made sure the second time I rang and ordered, made sure it was added to my notes that it would not be a 12 month contract.

First of all the guy said no it has to be 12 months, he later put me on hold and said it will definitely only be a rolling month by month contract and made sure it was added to my notes someone called simon in sales dpt.

They said it is 12 months for new customers but a rolling one for existing who is upgrading :)

Bargain I think £20 fee, free modem and router for £38 a month without 12 month contract :D

Billy-Bob
10-09-2009, 20:08
They said it is 12 months for new customers but a rolling one for existing who is upgrading :)

Bargain I think £20 fee, free modem and router for £38 a month without 12 month contract :D

Nice! :cool:

Gadgie
10-09-2009, 22:53
They took £30 from us when we came back to Virgin, which we thought was our 2 months money up front.
But when I phoned them they said it was a connection fee!!

Tell the truth, although we were surprised, we were just happy to get a proper service again?
As that short time we had with Sky was crap to say the least, supposed to on 8Meg and was actually getting the old dial up speed!:dozey:

Rankrotten
11-09-2009, 01:09

I have upgraded only the broadband part of my package to XXL and was put on a new 12 month contract and have been an existing customer for 10 years.

Ben
11-09-2009, 08:08
I didn't pay the activation or engineer fee. After the amount of trouble I had just getting through to virgin they decided to do something right for a change and give me 50Mbit without all the fee's

Its quite posible for them to do it.

BenMcr
11-09-2009, 09:55
Yes it is quite possible - no-one has said it's not. But if they do agree to do so it's on a case by case basis

TrancerSteve
16-09-2009, 13:06
I just rang up and I asked to be upgraded from 20mbit to 50mbit I only have the internet service from Virgin no tv or phone.

At first he said to me the connection fee would be £20 and there would be a £30 install fee. He then seemed abit confused and said the install cost was free and now seems like it isn't on the system.

After being on hold for a few minutes he said that I will get a letter through the door stating the install fee will be £30 but I need to ignore this as I will be credited £30 on my account.

So all in all I only had to pay £20 connection fee and £1 extra a month install date is 3rd Oct :dunce: Very happy with that! :)

Pink_Panther
16-09-2009, 15:43
I think it might just be a case of persevering unti you get the right person

I rang up 3 times during the day to upgrade to 50mb (from 20mb)

Twice I was told £50 fees

Then the third time I told the person I felt ripped off because new users were getting £60 in discounts, He said he'd waive the install fee for me - great - just what I was after

And then, after I made a crack about the online £20 discount he said he'd meet me halfway and do activation for ony £10! - excellent!

My install date is 3rd Oct and the person assured me he had put notes all over the account to make sure I only got charged what he promised

I was on BBXL and Talk XL - £35.95 p/m

Now I will be moving to BBXXL and Talk M for £39 p/m

First bill - £49 - Sorted! :)

things4u
17-09-2009, 02:07
Hi i am on the VIP package just rung vm to be told if i wanted to upgrade to the 50mb i would lose my vip discount can any one tell me why when i have just added a v box to my package making 2 v boxs and 1 standed box for just £5 extra to my vip when i asked if this would lose my discount adding a extra box the man said no becourse i was just upgrading and for my compleat packige vip and 50mb would be a extra £23 per month so from £87 it would make it £110 is this right or was the man fibbing