PDA

View Full Version : Return Path Problems - Intermittant loss of service

sniper007
08-09-2009, 11:11
Hi all,

Would appreciate some help. First of all let me say that I have been a customer with NTL/Virgin since 2002 and have been generally very happy with the service. Only recently I have had issues.

Basically my internet has been down three times in the last 2 months. In July it was down for about 2 weeks. Originally they promised me an engineer woudl be 3 weeks. i complained and they said they would get a sooner one as the problem was it needed a repull. Well when the guy came out it was not a re-pull at all. He said he didn't know why they said that. He tweaked stuff at the cabinet and it fixed it. I basically had symptoms of the ready light on the modem constantly flashing. Also, I lost on demand services.

Internet went down again the other day but on demand was fine. Finally got someone out other day to fix. Apparently he was here for about 5 minutes. My g/f said she only saw him outside the back wall by where it comes into the house. He tweaked something and then we had internet back. Great.

Last night however, I noticed that we have lost on demand services on one of our V+ boxes. The one upstairs. Internet now works, on demand downstairs works fine on our new Samsung V+ box, but the SA V+ box upstairs has NO RETURN PATH in technical settings. We can get TV channels on it fine.

Now I have a few concerns here. I'm not sure whether getting an additional V+ box upstairs has caused issues, as the guy when he installed the samsung new V+ box said they can be sensitive and require either a low or high signal (I forget which) but he said mine was spot on anyway when he did it.
Additionally, when another guy came to fix the problem yesterday, he said that they are doing work in the area and that it "might go again" but turning it all off and on should fix it. Errr...great.

When the Internet works, it seems fine speed wise. Never had issues with that. The phone NEVER EVER breaks. TV generally always works with regard to channels, it's just on demand and internet breaking. What would he have touched on the outside wall?

I wish I was there when these guys do their thing, so I can watch if I am able to try anything myself. What options do I have if it proves to keep being unreliable. I can't be waiting a week each time for an engineer visit.

Let me know what readings you guys need and I will provide.

Regards

EDIT: I should also add that the cable runs throughout the house are all newish, only 6 months old.

EDIT2: Also when the original guy came out to assess the problem back in July with the internet, he said something about the cable coming into the house was partially been damaged which was why it needed a repull. However, as I said above when they came to fix they did not do a repull. Argh. Frustrating.