PDA

View Full Version : Very slow internet speed

Jamieti
07-09-2009, 11:14
I'm on 20mb and for the last few days my connection has been terrible, constant timeouts and the slowness has made the connection unusable. I've checked the modem power levels:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -11.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 27.7 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 54.0 dBmV

I'm also getting these warnings in the log:

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Are the power levels normal? Any help would be much appreciated.

Ignitionnet
07-09-2009, 11:17
I'm on 20mb and for the last few days my connection has been terrible, constant timeouts and the slowness has made the connection unusable. I've checked the modem power levels:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -11.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 27.7 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 54.0 dBmV

I'm also getting these warnings in the log:

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Are the power levels normal? Any help would be much appreciated.

SNR too low, caused by power levels going into the modem being too low. Ensure that all connections are done up tightly, remove any attenuators from the modem, and if no change with the above then a tech visit is required to increase power levels.

Jamieti
07-09-2009, 11:21
Sorry but what are attenuators? I've already checked the cable connections but that doesn't solve it.

Ignitionnet
07-09-2009, 11:28
Sorry but what are attenuators? I've already checked the cable connections but that doesn't solve it.

If you don't know then you don't have one, it would be attached to your cable modem in between the modem and the coaxial cable - best call Virgin.

Jamieti
07-09-2009, 11:36
If you don't know then you don't have one, it would be attached to your cable modem in between the modem and the coaxial cable - best call Virgin.

Will do that, thank you for the help.

Ignitionnet
07-09-2009, 12:37
Will do that, thank you for the help.

You're welcome, hope it all goes smoothly and they can fix it quickly.