PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media 50Mbit massive speed fluctuations

Totebo
05-09-2009, 19:24
Hi guys,

I've recently moved to Virgin Media and their 50Mbit service. The bundle included a Netgear WNR2000 router, which is installed and working.

The problem? I am getting extremely varied connection speeds. I'm testing against Virgin's gamefiles.virginmedia.com. Sometimes I get around 32Mbit/s, which is what I would expect. Sometimes I get 0.5Mbit/s. When I connect directly to the modem I always get 30Mbit/s or more.

I've been in contact with Virgin more than I would have liked, who have kept me on the phone for hours performing tests without any improvement. In the end they sent me a new router, which has exactly the same problem.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with this router? Or perhaps can recommend a router that actually works which I can buy as a replacement? I'm beginning to become moderately mad after having spent hours googling trying to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Niclas

fire
05-09-2009, 20:26
Perhaps you should increse your RWIN on your wireless adapter. Get TCP Optimiser and ajust it.

Totebo
05-09-2009, 20:34
Perhaps you should increse your RWIN on your wireless adapter. Get TCP Optimiser and ajust it.

I've tried TCP Optimiser and changed the settings; no increase in speed when it's slow. I don't use the wireless at all. I have a feeling it's not to do with tweaks, but a more fundamental problem, since the speed is either very fast or ridiculously slow.

Niclas

fire
05-09-2009, 20:41
I've tried TCP Optimiser and changed the settings; no increase in speed when it's slow. I don't use the wireless at all. I have a feeling it's not to do with tweaks, but a more fundamental problem, since the speed is either very fast or ridiculously slow.

Niclas

Does it fluctuate at different times of the day. Does it fluctuate when connected to another pc?

Perhaps you are in an area with a lot of users.

Totebo
05-09-2009, 20:48
Does it fluctuate at different times of the day. Does it fluctuate when connected to another pc?

Perhaps you are in an area with a lot of users.

I've been monitoring this to see if there is a pattern to it, but so far it's been completely random. It's usually slightly slower on weekends when connected directly to the modem, but always faster than 20Mbit/s. When the problem occurs I get less than half a Mbit/s. It seems to be an on/off thing, and it's definitely the fault of the router. Connected directly to the modem is always nice and fast.

What to do!

fire
05-09-2009, 20:55
Perhaps one of the ethernet cables is damaged, or a lose connection. I read somewhere to put the ethernet card down to half duplex.

Totebo
06-09-2009, 19:43
Perhaps one of the ethernet cables is damaged, or a lose connection. I read somewhere to put the ethernet card down to half duplex.

I've managed to convince Virgin Media to send me another router, and requested the newer D-Link rather than the Netgear I use now. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks everyone for their comments!

Cheers,

Niclas

Peter_
06-09-2009, 20:22
I've managed to convince Virgin Media to send me another router, and requested the newer D-Link rather than the Netgear I use now. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks everyone for their comments!

Cheers,

Niclas
I hope you get the D Link as you will just get what is on the warehouse shelf as the is no way to order a particular model unless they have run out of the Netgears.

Totebo
06-09-2009, 20:25
I hope you get the D Link as you will just get what is on the warehouse shelf as the is no way to order a particular model unless they have run out of the Netgears.

Oh dear; this could mean the THIRD WNR2000 I get sent to me. I fear the day when I need to send all this back, I'll have to hire a van to get them all to the post office.

:)

Nic

Peter_
06-09-2009, 20:28
Oh dear; this could mean the THIRD WNR2000 I get sent to me. I fear the day when I need to send all this back, I'll have to hire a van to get them all to the post office.

:)

Nic
I had to mention this as we are still getting customers calling in with the Netgear WNR2000 router who have only just received it even though officially we changed over on the 4th August to the D Link.

Ignitionnet
06-09-2009, 21:15
I had to mention this as we are still getting customers calling in with the Netgear WNR2000 router who have only just received it even though officially we changed over on the 4th August to the D Link.

What's the official reason for the change to the D-Link?

It's actually going to be either A) The D-Link is cheaper or B) Virgin realised the WNR2000 is about the most crappy 'N' router on the market and customers weren't happy with it, but be interesting to see how it has been spun.

Peter_
06-09-2009, 21:46
What's the official reason for the change to the D-Link?

It's actually going to be either A) The D-Link is cheaper or B) Virgin realised the WNR2000 is about the most crappy 'N' router on the market and customers weren't happy with it, but be interesting to see how it has been spun.
We are still doing the Netgear WGR614 router and we changed over to the D Link DIR615 for reasons we are not privy to at this time.:)

Ignitionnet
06-09-2009, 22:07
We are still doing the Netgear WGR614 router and we changed over to the D Link DIR615 for reasons we are not privy to at this time.:)

I'll run with a combination of cost and the fact the WNR is a steaming pile of excrement in that case ;)

PAYNEARDO
06-09-2009, 22:45
I have a different router and I am getting the same speed fluctuations. It was solid 50Mb for a while and now it is all over the place ranging from 0.5Mbps to 53.1Mbps. It is never constant at the moment :(

I have a linksys router and even when I am direct to the modem it is the same as I made some changes to my internal cabling at the weekend and thought it was that but it looks like it isn't :(

the speedtests now wont even go above 20Mb, yet I was getting over 40Mb only last week :(

Zoolook
07-09-2009, 00:41
Im getting the same Problem in the Nottinghamshire area with or without the routher connected. It only started about a week and a half ago.

Same thing, was on the phone for nearly 2 hours, he said he could not find a problem and that they would phone me the next day, but they didnt.

My mate in Manchester is on 50Mb and he has had no fluctuations, so it maybe only certain areas that are being effected.

Totebo
11-09-2009, 16:14

This is interesting. I just got sent to me the THIRD Netgear router after having requested the D-Link. I phoned Virgin and they informed me, in no uncertain terms, that Netgear is still the supported router and D-Link only was a replacement for a short time when the Netgears were out of stock.

He said there are no plans to change the Netgear routers to any other brand.

What to do!

Peter_
11-09-2009, 17:02
This is interesting. I just got sent to me the THIRD Netgear router after having requested the D-Link. I phoned Virgin and they informed me, in no uncertain terms, that Netgear is still the supported router and D-Link only was a replacement for a short time when the Netgears were out of stock.

He said there are no plans to change the Netgear routers to any other brand.

What to do!
Oh dear another misinformed soul giving wrong information to you.

We are still supplying the Netgear WGR614 for all 10Mb customers and all new 20Mb and 50Mb customers including upgrades to a higher tier now only get the N router which will be when the old stock of Netgear WNR2000 routers finally run out will be just the D Link DIR615 N router.

merlintt
14-09-2009, 12:01
I find if i connect directly to a modem i get 50mb down and 1.6mb up,if i connect up through the netgear wnr2000 i get 10mb down and 1.6 up!

Contacted virgin media today and now have an appointment this friday with one of thier engineers.

If u need to contact virgin for a 50mb fault call 0800 052 0431,this gets u some helpful people in the uk .

Totebo
14-09-2009, 12:07
I find if i connect directly to a modem i get 50mb down and 1.6mb up,if i connect up through the netgear wnr2000 i get 10mb down and 1.6 up!

Contacted virgin media today and now have an appointment this friday with one of thier engineers.

If u need to contact virgin for a 50mb fault call 0800 052 0431,this gets u some helpful people in the uk .

Please tell me if the engineer managed to fix it, and if so how he did it! Thanks a bunch for that number, I'm getting tired of listening to "if you have a problem you don't really want to talk to us, you want to go online and fix it yourself" messages.

Nic

merlintt
14-09-2009, 12:15
No prob`s, i got the number from one of Moldova`s previous posts.

I will post on friday to let you know the outcome.

richardc1983
15-09-2009, 06:54
Join the club, read my post!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33654959-50mb-broadband-leeds-constant-fluctuations-speed.html

merlintt
18-09-2009, 18:18
Well the engineer came friday and tested the modem-all ok.He also said the reson i`m getting only 10 meg download is that the router may not like my computer(sony viao tp3 desktop)
So I`m no further on really,still getiing problems using xbox straight into modem,now if i want to switch between computer and laptop i have to restart the modem which seem`s to take longer each time.

I`m also a member of an xbox forum and when i posted my connection on there i had a chat with another member on the 50 meg connection who is having the same problem.

The good news is i now have 2 routers that "my computer doesn`t like".

Any advice? is there a router i could buy that my computer will like.

merlintt
17-12-2009, 14:40
I now have 4 routers!Got fed up of the poor quality connection on vm 50 meg so rang customer service today and have now been downgraded back to 20 meg.

Anybody considering the 50meg package,think about it,have a look round this forum and see how many people are posting problems.