PDA

View Full Version : Problems with WNR2000 router.

Milambar
05-09-2009, 12:17
Ok, I recently upgraded from 10 to 20MB, as part of the upgrade, the CSR sent me a nice new free router, which turned out to be a Netgear WNR2000. I thought I'd give it a try anyway, despite having read and heard a lot of bad things about it. Incidentally, my research suggests that the WNR2000 runs on OpenWRT with a customized (branded) UI to hide that fact.

Setup was painless, very much plug and play.
Security configuration of the WIFI was painless too.

Now here is where I noticed problems. See, I run a home webserver I use for testing simple php/perl scripts, I like tinkering with them, nothing serious. My home webserver runs on a different machine (one that lives under the stairs actually), I will refer to this as the .2 machine. My desktop is .3, and my laptop .4. I tried accessing a simple page on the .2 machine from the .4 machine, and the router just redirected me to the routers own login page. Ive come across this before, so I wasn't too stressed. I logged into the router and set up port forwarding.

2nd try (now with the router with port forwarding set up) had the same result. Hmm, ok. No matter what I try, the webserver (.2) machine is inaccessible via the http protocol over the LAN. It always redirects back to the routers login page. (ssh, telnet, ftp all work fine). Now for another oddity, the webserver IS accessible to machines OUTSIDE of the LAN.

A few minutes with google, shows me that this is a HUGE and KNOWN problem with the WNR2000 router, but it also shows me that Netgear while aware of it, are not interested in fixing it.

So, does anyone know of a workaround? Or should I go back to using my old router?

zing_deleted
05-09-2009, 12:23
are you running openwrt? status is Work in progress on the site

Milambar
05-09-2009, 12:28
No, I am running the stock firmware. I said, my research showed me that Netgear use Openwrt themselves under a "whiterussian" kernel. It was just a coincidental fact I picked up on while researching my problem on google.

I wouldnt change the firmware on the router, as I am not the legal owner. It still belongs to Virgin, although I did let it update itself automatically to the latest firmware.

zing_deleted
05-09-2009, 12:31
I will be changing mine as soon as a good one is written

The WNR2000 is stock anyway and not a modified VM firmware