PDA

View Full Version : 2MB very slow ?contention ratios?

davel
04-09-2009, 21:04
hi guys - just after your thoughts - we have a old 2mb down virgin/tw connection but it’s almost unusable at peak times (eg ~20 secs to load any webpage)- do you think that upgrading bandwidth will help or would it be better to move to adsl - I would really like a much more solid service - the connection is ok at non-peak times but there is presumably packet fragmentation as VoIP is really poor (obviously more upload would help!) - packet loss and ping loss is fine - I changed the modemrouter and am very confident that there is nothing wrong my side of the network :) I am a heavy internet user but am interested in a solid service not in dubious marketing!

Tech_Boy
04-09-2009, 21:12
If you are a "heavy internet user", why are you only on 2meg?!

davel
04-09-2009, 21:17
If you are a "heavy internet user", why are you only on 2meg?!

Good Question - 2Mb should give me enough throughput as i don't use bittorrent or anything like that. It much more important it works 23.5/7

Tech_Boy
04-09-2009, 21:28
2Mb is no longer sold as a tier of service, as the lowest speed offered is now 10Mb, and the 2Mb service is only a retentions tool & is heavily traffic managed.
So it is only meant for light browsing & emails, not for "Heavy use".

davel
04-09-2009, 21:35
Thanks "Tech Boy" - so if I upgrade to 10mb (which I think is free) it should actually work better..

Tech_Boy
04-09-2009, 21:56
yup

davel
04-09-2009, 22:00
Done - and its obviously faster-

Ping times are erratic but much more what I would expect on a BB circuit

this makes no sense whatsoever whats wrong with using a 2mb circuit as it means that you can't run up as much bandwith usage...

but we are talking about ntl/tw :D

Cheers for your help

REM
05-09-2009, 01:45
hi guys - just after your thoughts - we have a old 2mb down virgin/tw connection but it’s almost unusable at peak times (eg ~20 secs to load any webpage)- do you think that upgrading bandwidth will help or would it be better to move to adsl - I would really like a much more solid service - the connection is ok at non-peak times but there is presumably packet fragmentation as VoIP is really poor (obviously more upload would help!) - packet loss and ping loss is fine - I changed the modemrouter and am very confident that there is nothing wrong my side of the network :) I am a heavy internet user but am interested in a solid service not in dubious marketing!

I'm still on 2Mb/s. Not for much longer though. I am almost constantly throttled. It's terrible when I see my 24 hours remaining double to 48 hours :)

Ignitionnet
05-09-2009, 08:52
I'm still on 2Mb/s. Not for much longer though. I am almost constantly throttled. It's terrible when I see my 24 hours remaining double to 48 hours :)

Good call, if downloading 20GB chunks 2Mb/s is slow, restricted and being not a little cheap :p:

davel
05-09-2009, 09:31
Hmm well still getting a few delayed packets but now things have settled its probably 1/3 faster ping times to the US

I wonder what the point of this 2Mb retention is then

Ignitionnet
05-09-2009, 10:37
Hmm well still getting a few delayed packets but now things have settled its probably 1/3 faster ping times to the US

It's for people who are amazingly cheap and really don't want to be charged that extra 2 pounds a month for a service more than 4 times faster as it will infringe on their cigarette or beer budget.

Peter_
05-09-2009, 21:37

It is also supposed to be a deal closer but as broadbandings said you really would have to be a tight wad not to get 10Mb:D

Matth
07-09-2009, 00:11
With the free 10Mb upgrades, anyone still on BB:M would be well advised to hold on and then see if they need the STM quota upgrade of BB:L over BB:M10

There is no way to order BB:M10 if you are not already on BB:M, and M10 is a nice little bonus for people who might otherwise be persuaded by Sky or Talktalk's "up to 8Mb".