PDA

View Full Version : Virgin HD+ one input HDMI and one input aerial. Is it possible ?

thebeetleuk
03-09-2009, 21:31
Hi,

I've just gone to virgin. On my old sky setup I used to have sky in my living room and an aerial cable running under the floorboards to my bedroom, so I could watch what was in the living room in my bedroom. I didn't want to have an extra box cause I live by myself.

Anyway I got my HD box installed I see there is an aerial out just like my old sky box. It even powers my little rf receiver that I use to change the sky channels but no picture comes through.

I rang up and they said I couldn't do that and if I wanted to watch TV in my bedroom I'd need to by a new box and pay an extra £5 a month. Which is a lot of money for something that would be pointless for me to have.

My dad has a Sky HD and it's aerial out can be watched in other rooms, is there anyway I can do this with Virgin ?

Ben B
03-09-2009, 21:37
:welcome:,

With the V+ Service, you cannot use the RF outputs when you are connected to your TV via HDMI. What you will need is an RF Modulator, this plugs into the VCR SCART socket on the V+ then you connect your RF lead to that and the picture will be restored in other rooms. The menus wont be visible on the other TVs.

Ben :)

thebeetleuk
03-09-2009, 21:42
So basically the RF Modulator is Scart -> RF ? So I can have HDMI and Scart at the same time from the HD Box ?

Could you answer me an unrelated question about the internet connection then ? How does the throttling work ? is there any time when it isn't monitored (like the wee hours ?)

Thanks for your help ?

Ben B
03-09-2009, 21:45
Yes the VCR SCART works when the HDMI is being used. The RF Modulator converts SCART to RF. All information about throttling and when it is in operation can be found at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

thebeetleuk
03-09-2009, 21:47
Thanks very much for all your help. I might give you a mario kart race on day when I hook my wii up to say thanks.

Ben B
03-09-2009, 22:00
Haha, no probs, glad I could help :)

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Here's a link to a modulator for £19.99, you can probably find one cheaper though http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=33050

thebeetleuk
04-09-2009, 22:10
So I brought the Modulator but I still have a problem. When I disconnect all the equipment and just connect the scart, the box will display to scart. But when I connect the HDMI to my TV the picture to the scart is only on for about 10 seconds before it goes black and is only sound and I can only see it on a HDMI channel.

Edit

Done a bit of work here. When I change the settings to RGB in the options, I get a picture on both HDMI and the scart. If it is on HD 1080p I get only an image on the HDMI. The scart I can get a picture on is the TV scart.

The scart I can only get sound and no picture on is the VCR out. Any fixes for this or anyone whose had this issue ?

jshaw
16-09-2009, 20:13
i have a v+ hd box also, i found if u change the tv display to widescreen then you can view your picture through hdmi but its not in 1080p but then if plug a coax in the aerial out point on back of the v+ box you can view the picture on a 2nd tv with no problems. just make u have a aerial going into the v+ box if your wanting to view standard channels on your 2nd tv.

florida sun
21-09-2009, 22:26
can any one help me. I have just had installed the new samsung V+ box but unlike my old SKY box i dont have an out co-ax so i cant watch what is showing down stairs in my bedroom upstairs i am disabled and this would be a great help.
Thanks

Stuart
22-09-2009, 00:36
The scart I can only get sound and no picture on is the VCR out. Any fixes for this or anyone whose had this issue ?

The VCR Scart is the correct one to use (it's actually a limitation of the hardware that the TV Scart does not work in HD mode). The VCR Scart only outputs Composite video.

I think the first thing you need to check is if your V+ is actually outputting video to the VCR Scart. To do this, connect it to a Scart input on a TV and try and watch that channel.

can any one help me. I have just had installed the new samsung V+ box but unlike my old SKY box i dont have an out co-ax so i cant watch what is showing down stairs in my bedroom upstairs i am disabled and this would be a great help.
Thanks

If you have a standard RF/Aerial cable connecting your box to the TV in the bedroom, then a modulator like the one linked above should work. Be aware, you won't be able to change channels or control the V+ though.

I haven't used it, but if you need the remote control as well, you may need a video sender like the one at http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5347926/Trail/searchtext%3EVIDEO+SENDERS.htm

BTW, :welcome: to all our new members.

DumbBlond
22-09-2009, 13:08
Hello I hope you can help I bought the Maplin modulator and plugged it via the scart VCR output I get no picture or sound. What do you think I'm doing wrong. Please advice