PDA

View Full Version : Moving Internet Feed

privateb
03-09-2009, 13:19
Hi Guys can anyone give me some information about how to go about getting my internet feed removed from the spare bedroom into the lounge downstairs? Do VM charge for this? If so how much?

Thanks Ryan

Ben B
03-09-2009, 13:32
Virgin charge £99 for this but do you have phone or TV with VM? If you have phone but no TV they can install the free TV service downstairs and split the connection and attach it to the modem. TV installation is only £30 which is a lot better than paying £99

savenosouls
03-09-2009, 15:26
Alternatively - leave the modem in the bedroom & use Netgear Powerline adapters (or similar) to send the signal round the electrical ring main - that is how I do it - works a treat

honest guv
03-09-2009, 15:50
Is it possible to move it oneself? I also have it in spare room upstairs, along with about 20 foot of excess cable, and want to move it downstairs.

Is it just a case of pulling the cable out through the hole upstairs, and pushing it through a new hole downstairs? or am I wildly optimistic?

Ben B
03-09-2009, 15:54
Is it possible to move it oneself? I also have it in spare room upstairs, along with about 20 foot of excess cable, and want to move it downstairs.

Is it just a case of pulling the cable out through the hole upstairs, and pushing it through a new hole downstairs? or am I wildly optimistic?

You'd be best getting a long ethernet cable

chuzzlemonkey
03-09-2009, 18:48
I wouldn't advise the option involving taking the TV service. In theory Ben B is correct, however, techs are only paid for what they are originally scheduled to do. So anything additional you ask them to do whilst on the job (no matter how trivial) could be met with a cold 'sorry - no' and then you've wasted £30.00