PDA

View Full Version : Virginmedia Email

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 21:53
Hi folks, I wonder if someone can help please?

Is there a trick to setting Virginmedia's email up to come through Outlook Express? I'm doing this manually, I've been at all day without any success.

The email is working on VMs website, but will not download to OE. I got so brassed off with it I telephoned VM in India I think & asked the guy to go through the setup procedure, what he told me was blow for blow, what I'd already done. When I told him this, he apologised and rang off. :rolleyes:

The smtp & pop3 #s look kind odd to me.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

BTW the message I'm continually getting is. Your Pop3 server has not responded is 60 seconds

Also please don't expect too much from my computer knowledge, I have set up email addresses in OE before, but I was bought up when the abacus was all the rage :)

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 21:57
You need to login to the online version and go to settings.
In there you need to enable pop3.
Save the settings and you should then be able to download via OE.

musicbravo
02-09-2009, 22:00
for a start uncheck the SSL options.

ensure pop3 address = pop3.virginmedia.com
and smtp address = smtp.virginmedia.com

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

incoming port should be 110 i believe and outgoing should be 25

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:00
Thanks moaningmags, I'm 100% sure that I've done that but will go back and take a look :)

cheers H0ND0

Ben B
02-09-2009, 22:01

The new @virginmedia.com accounts are different and have SSL and different ports as this is needed by google mail

musicbravo
02-09-2009, 22:03
i stand corrected, thanks Ben. sorry to confuse the issue h0Nd0

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:05

Yep, I thought that, but not according to VMs website instructions

I'll check that out Thanks musicbravo

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

i stand corrected, thanks Ben. sorry to confuse the issue h0Nd0

No problem musicbravo, I do the same all the time :D

musicbravo
02-09-2009, 22:07
just a quickie, is this a new email address?

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:10
Hi folks, I wonder if someone can help please?

Is there a trick to setting Virginmedia's email up to come through Outlook Express? I'm doing this manually, I've been at all day without any success.

The email is working on VMs website, but will not download to OE. I got so brassed off with it I telephoned VM in India I think & asked the guy to go through the setup procedure, what he told me was blow for blow, what I'd already done. When I told him this, he apologised and rang off. :rolleyes:

The smtp & pop3 #s look kind odd to me.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

BTW the message I'm continually getting is. Your Pop3 server has not responded is 60 seconds

Also please don't expect too much from my computer knowledge, I have set up email addresses in OE before, but I was bought up when the abacus was all the rage :)
Here are full instructions for setting up a @virginmedia.com account in either Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/4_pop.php

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:11
just a quickie, is this a new email address?

Yes it is, I only had VM installed yesterday PM. I'm lucky enough not to lose my email address from my prior ISP until the 7 or 8th of this month.

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:15
Yes it is, I only had VM installed yesterday PM. I'm lucky enough not to lose my email address from my prior ISP until the 7 or 8th of this month.
Click the link in my post above it is very easy but you do have to set up an alias such as a.smith@virginmedia.com first or it will not work, because an address like as123t4567@virginmedia.com (as123t3456@virginmedia.com) will not work on the new googlemail platform.

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:20
Here are full instructions for setting up a @virginmedia.com account in either Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/virginmediamail/4_pop.php

Thanks Moldova I've been faffing about with those instructions since around 8:00am. I'll swear to God the guy I phoned in India was reading them out to me. The only thing he said which cheered me up no end was "It's raining here, whats it doing there? So to spite him I told him the sun is blazing down. :D

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Click the link in my post above it is very easy but you do have to set up an alias such as a.smith@virginmedia.com first or it will not work, because an address like as123t4567@virginmedia.com (as123t3456@virginmedia.com) will not work on the new googlemail platform.

I'm sorry, I don't know what this is about, but I'm working on it. :)

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:22
Thanks Moldova I've been faffing about with those instructions since around 8:00am. I'll swear to God the guy I phoned in India was reading them out to me. The only thing he said which cheered me up no end was "It's raining here, whats it doing there? So to spite him I told him the sun is blazing down. :D
Have you gone to https://my.virginmedia.com/dashboard/start logged in and set up an email address first because it will not work unless you have done that.

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 22:23
Have you gone to https://my.virginmedia.com/dashboard/start logged in and set up an email address first because it will not work unless you have done that.

He wouldn't have been able to login to webmail if he hadn't.

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:25

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

I'm sorry, I don't know what this is about, but I'm working on it. :)
For it to work you must have a valid email address such as

richardbranson@virginmedia.com but with your name instead of Richards.

The google platform will not work if you use the supplied username such as rb001v1234 it must be a name, no name then iot will not work.

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:28

Yep, I've received an email on VMs site from a customer care manager, during today I returned his email asking him to phone me. But he didn't fall for that :)

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

I'll be back in a minute :)

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:30
He wouldn't have been able to login to webmail if he hadn't.
These new addys are either a doddle or a pain so just double checking as its the first thing that needs checking, no addy no mail.

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 22:32
These new addys are either a doddle or a pain so just double checking as its the first thing that needs checking, no addy no mail.

He's already stated webmail works, can't get in there with the username so it's clear he'd already set up the alias.

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:33
Yep, I've received an email on VMs site from a customer care manager, during today I returned his email asking him to phone me. But he didn't fall for that :)

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

I'll be back in a minute :)
Go to tools > accounts > properties and remove any virginmedia pop3 accounts and start from scratch, always best to try a fresh install and not to try and fix an existing one.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

He's already stated webmail works, can't get in there with the username so it's clear he'd already set up the alias.
I noticed after your post.

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 22:34
The OP said in his 1st post it worked via the website.

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:39
Could you please confirm whether or not I've got this pop stuff right on VMs site, I'm working on the assumption that if this is right the problem is what I done my end in OE

BTW I don't know why IMAP is enabled, I havent fiddled with that

Many thanks :)

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:40
So he did, thats what happens when you go in early for training you misread the posts.:D

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:40

How did you know that I was an OAP

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 22:41
Those settings are correct Hondo

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

LOL Hondo OP means original post or original poster

Peter_
02-09-2009, 22:42
OP stands for Original Poster.:)

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:48
Whoops the secret is out now, and it was me that gave the game away LMAO :D

But VMs Email :shocked:

xocemp
02-09-2009, 22:52

/script fail ;)

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 22:53
Could you please confirm whether or not I've got this pop stuff right on VMs site, I'm working on the assumption that if this is right the problem is what I done my end in OE

BTW I don't know why IMAP is enabled, I haven't fiddled with that

Many thanks :)

It's not all that unusual, but I'm quoting myself here. Could someone confirm the settings in the VM pic that I attached somewhere above are OK please :)

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 22:54
The settings are fine Hondo I told you this in the post you thought I had found you out as an OAP :)

Peter_
02-09-2009, 23:00
/script fail ;)
Tiredness fail unless you are writing scripts

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 23:01
The settings are fine Hondo I told you this in the post you thought I had found you out as an OAP :)

Sorry, I must have been more concerned about the fact that you could possibly see me to notice the approval of your comment about the validity of the attached file.

I am I right now in your opinion (& mine) in assuming that I've setup something incorrectly in OE down here.

God I wished I'd have watched Emmerdale rather than faff about with this. lol, I hate Emmerdale with a vengance BTW :D

moaningmags
02-09-2009, 23:09
/script fail ;)

Yay I passed :D

If it was me, I'd completely remove the account from OE.
Then I'd delete Temporary Internet files,
then I'd restart the computer and then go through the set up again.

H0ND0
02-09-2009, 23:40
Yay I passed :D
Gusting snif, snif. ;)

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

I'm going to create a brand spanking new account in OE tomorrow, I think I'm much to buck-eyed now.

Thank you very much everyone for your input :)

Good night all. :sleep:

H0ND0
03-09-2009, 20:23
Well folks good news re-email I finally gave in & dialled 151. Luckily the guy I was put through to spoke perfect English & had some time to spare, he checked what I'd done on VMs email website and made a couple of corrections then talked me through all the OE setting the result was a job well done. :) And I am getting email now. :D Gawd knows how many ISPs & email addresses I've had and never before had to fiddled about on the ISP site, never mind I shouldnt have that problem again, I backed the lot up now and should only need to remember passwords, with a bit of luck I can cope with that. :erm:

I'd just like to thank you one and all, for your help & support last night. :)

:nworthy::nworthy:

moaningmags
03-09-2009, 20:56
Nice to see you sorted Hondo :)