PDA

View Full Version : High ping during peak times

xenium23
02-09-2009, 18:41
Hey guys, before I phoned up virgin I thought I would seek help some help here first, basically for the last couple of week my ping has been shooting up really high especially during peak times, I have friends on the same internet as me who live 10 mins away and their ping is always fine. It only happens around 4 or 5pm then my ping starts to go back to normal around 10pm where as my friends pings stay the same all the time.

Just wondering if theres anything you would suggest, I'll post my power levels below. Thanks for reading, any replies are appreciated.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.0 dB

-------------------------------------------------------------

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 21300000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 1280 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 37.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

If theres nothing you can suggest then I'll phone up VM and see if they can send a tech out to sort this, its becoming really frustrating.

AbyssUnderground
02-09-2009, 21:02
You say its at peak times, so its probably an oversubscribed UBR. Do your speeds also suffer at peak times when you're not being hit by traffic management?

xenium23
02-09-2009, 21:17
I don't know, my ping has been fine for a while but the last couple of month its suddenly started being really high around 6pm onwards, lasts up until 10 o'clockish, pretty annoying because I mostly only use the net for online games, like I said I have a friend who lives 5 minutes away on the same as me and where as he has 30ping on servers, I'm at 90. If I ring up VM and explain the problem is there anything they could do?

Welshchris
03-09-2009, 10:11
it could also be ur firewall.

i installed VM Netguard on a friends pc the otherday and his ping rate on speedtest.net went from mid 40s to mid 160s. As soon as firewall was disabled it was back in mid 40s.

AbyssUnderground
03-09-2009, 10:23
Only happens at peak times though, a firewall would do it all the time woudl it not?

Its most likely overutilisation. Post on the newsgroups and someone will be able to tell you if that is the case.