PDA

View Full Version : Caller Display not available

AlanA
02-09-2009, 17:47
Hello everyone from a new member.
I’ve recently called CS to get Caller Display/ Caller ID turned on, on my line.
The lovely Scots lady informed me that unfortunately this service is not available on my line and nor did she have any idea if and when it will ever be available. (Warrington Area 20)
I’m a bit miffed about this, because nowhere in Virgin’s sales literature does it state that it may not be available and had I known that I would have stopped with BT.
Even the web site states just call to get it turned on!
Does anyone have any more info as to when and if it will be available? Can it be turned on on a line by line basis even if it is not generally available?
I have seen the previous thread about caller display but I didn’t want to hijack it, sorry for the double posting.
This one omission is enough for me to go back to Sky and BT even though overall I am very pleased with both TV and Broadband.
Thanks Alan.

Ben B
02-09-2009, 18:46
:welcome: Alan,

Have you tried getting it activated through http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/existingCustomer.html, enter your postcode, tick caller display in the process and enter your personal details at the end and see what response you get from VM.

Chris
02-09-2009, 19:18
Unfortunately there are some areas where you can't get it, usually because of the technology choices made by the companies that originally installed the cable networks in various parts of the UK. Caller display for some reason wasn't seen by everyone as a useful or saleable thing. Or possibly they thought they could get away without the expense.

I suspect that it's a significant investment to make it work in places where it currently doesn't, so if you can't get it now, perhaps you never will .... I hope I'm wrong about that though.

*sloman*
02-09-2009, 19:40
I'm in area 20 but Derby i cant get caller display either no biggie in my eyes

prince_zeepress
02-09-2009, 21:08
If you really want caller display you could switch to using a VoIP 'phone service. Normally VoIP companies provide all the extra services such as caller display as part of the standard package, as well as having call charges significantly less than Virgin.