PDA

View Full Version : VIP Package and 50mb service

little_alien
02-09-2009, 15:36
I have 2 questions

1) Why if the VIP is suposed to include the best of all the services doesnt it include the 50Mb service?

2) Im on VIP with sports and movies extra box.

I want to keep the TV and BB but the phone service is in way exces of what i need. is there a cheaper option. ps moving house soon so new contract is an option. :)

BenMcr
02-09-2009, 15:50
The VIP deal is as advertised with 20Mbit. XXL costs an extra £8

It does usually work out cheaper if you do take the phone - even if you don't use it

little_alien
02-09-2009, 15:57
ok fair enough.

im just weighing up the options.

Quidco are offering 150£ cashback on new subscribers who take bundles and theres free instalation atm,

to me that means 150£ for the slight hassel of cancelling and re subscribing. :D

well thats the way i read it,,.

frogstamper
02-09-2009, 20:41
In my opinion the VIP package isn't as good value as it used to be, whilst prices have dropped with most BB packages VIP has stayed the same.
Hopefully VM will look at their "ultimate package" soon and re-evaluate whether it should include 50mb.

Downloads
02-09-2009, 23:50
Agreed. I'm calling them tomorrow (i called yesterday but they said the new offers wern't on the system yet) and if they don't add 50mb for free then i'm downgrading a bunch of services.

Including international calls i'm paying £120 per month with 2 V+ boxes and i think its a bit cheaky to expect me to pay another £8.

They'll lose money from me for:

XL phone downgrading to M
ESPN
Movies and Sports

They'll gain 50mb BB only.

I make that about £70ish per month instead of £100 excluding calls.

Will let you know how it goes. Hell, if they are stroppy then i will cancel altogether.

BenMcr
03-09-2009, 00:48
Well sorry to see you downgrade your services and/or leave Virgin Media then

XXL is £8 more than the current XL price for all customers. It is your choice whether you pay that or not - but there is nothing that can be done to change it

Downloads
03-09-2009, 01:13
We shall see, wouldn't be the first time Virgin have backed down. Everyone knows retentions can be flexible. People posting on here today even with deals they have been offered.

I'm not a habitual discount seeker, just like the above poster i don't believe its that great value anymore and if they won't do anything then it's just a case of removing items to counteract the higher BB. (ESPN is hardly worth it for me anyway)

BenMcr
03-09-2009, 01:23
You would have to remove the XL tv to get rid of ESPN because just like Setanta it is included.

So you would lose more that just ESPN

Downloads
03-09-2009, 02:11
Ahh of course ya right, it will prolly be better to have the 50mb plus line rental with Virgin and then everything else with Sky, just worked it out to no dearer than i am paying now, sweet. Apart from there is initial setup cost, but once thats sorted theres no extra cost after first year.

BenMcr
03-09-2009, 03:07
Not quite sure how you work that one out

Sky 6 Mix + Sports/Movies + HD + ESPN + Extra normal STB costs £76. (Or £85.75 for two Sky+HD boxes)

Plus XXL Broadband and VM Line rental would be a further £39

So £115 in total (£124.75 for two Sky+HD boxes)

Compared with £96 (£97.50 from 1st October) for VIP with XXL or £106 (£107.50 from 1st October) for VIP with 2 V+ and XXL

So almost £20 a month more

Downloads
03-09-2009, 09:05
Yeah i was more thinking what i actually needed. Only one HD box, the other could be a standard Sky plus, i've never watched ESPN, so there's another 9, take the £19 off and i've got the same as what i need. I get the 50mb broadband, i get the superior HD choice and superior Sports service with red button etc. I get less phone service, but we only really use an international call plan anyway, everything else generally ends up on mobiles with the free minutes etc.

little_alien
03-09-2009, 10:19
Hey

ok

I gonna have to stay on VIP worked out the different components as i really dont need the full wack phone but works out cheaper with it. basically from what i can remember is Virgin need to have you on the list of services so theygive great discounts just for your name on there :P

anyhow i have the VIP with a standard second box, that is attached to a SlingBox that is used by my uncle in Texas. and they pay me some each month towards the bill. :D

anyway im going with the cancel and resubscribe option see if i can get hold of the cashback, - in addition to free instal and V++ box and new wireless N modem.

basically they said if i just transfered id take my equipment with me and be on the same old equipment. i like free stuff, :)

however still think it should be 50mb bbin the VIP ;)

trickytree
03-09-2009, 10:54
Totally agree with the VIP 50MB as said above. How can they have this mega package that they push as being the best of all what they offer but now have the 2nd best broadband in it.
I've been on the package over a year now so seriously tempted to see about dropping the phone down pretty much to the bare minimum as hardly use it really. Could even at a push ditch the second box.

With my router that was supplied seemingly on it's way out by having to be rebooted all the time and has a very annoying high pitched noise coming out of it which I think is making the dogs in the street go crazy I was tempted to upgrade. Another £8 on top of what we pay already though is not good but due to the billing I can't workout if I just lower the phone to evenings and weekends and keep the rest as it is what the charge would be.

May have to give them a call next week.
Would rather have caller id than all them other bits like mobile and international options.

little_alien
03-09-2009, 11:16
i just worked this out on the website
------------------------------------
Your bundle
12 month contract
£49.50 Broadband
Size: XXL
TV
Size: XL
Phone
Size: M
------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireless "N" router and adapter £0.00
V+ Service 12 month contract £0.00
Additional V Set-top Box 12 month contract£5.00
ESPN1 £0.00
Sky Sports & Movies Collection1 £27.50
Virgin Phone Line £11.00 V+ set up fee £49.00
50Mb broadband activation £20.00
E-bill Paper bill - £0.00
---------------------------

Your Cost Summary:
Total one-off cost £69.00
Total monthly cost £93.00
Online credit (taken off your first months bill) − £20.00

for the same package wil xl - 20mb

Your Cost Summary:
Total one-off cost £49.00
Total monthly cost £85.00
Online credit (taken off your first months bill) − £20.00

BenMcr
03-09-2009, 11:21
That doesn't include the £7.95 for Talk Unlimited nor the £3 for Talk International/Talk Weekends so yes it is slightly cheaper

little_alien
03-09-2009, 14:49
but if you dont need the phone still works out more than the vip :)

Downloads
05-09-2009, 04:42
Well it appears ya wrong Ben. Was offered the 50mb for paying no extra dosh - To keep me. The only reason i don't have it is the modem cost. Didn't factor that in and because i'm in the process of moving house, it doesn't seem worth it until i know if i am moving to a house with cable.

BenMcr
05-09-2009, 10:04
I can only go off the price list which says that VIP with 50Mbit is £8 more

If someone get authorisation to add a manual credit on top of that then all well and good.

But the Advance Charges will still be £96 and the manual credit would only last 12 months

little_alien
06-09-2009, 18:06
hehe my friend just bought a house and tested the postcode, unfortunatly its not a cabled area so tried the speeds checker for the area Virgin National came out to with a whoping 0.5 - 1mb for the pricely sum of £18 just for the BB

makes me glad to be cabled up :)