PDA

View Full Version : Problems signing up for Virgin Media

Zaii
02-09-2009, 13:25
Hi all,

Last year I moved into my first flat, which was in a cabled area. I was hoping to get Virgin's cable broadband, as I've had nothing but great experiences with it previously.

When I finally got settled in, I tried signing up for the 20MB service, however I was informed by sales that while the houses, and some flats around me all had cable, we were unfortunately cable-less.

Since then, I've spoken to a Virgin media spotter who's informed me that there's a cable junction right outside the front door of the flats, and I've even gone as far as getting the land owners written permission to cable the 4-5 metres into the flats, and handed it over to the spotter.

Last I've heard, it's stuck with Virgin's planning team, and has been for many months. Is there anyway I can get a yes or no answer from Virgin? My 12 month contract with Be There is due to expire in October, and I can't wait to ditch their horrendous 1MB service. Despite me stating I'm really dying to sign up for the 50MB service, my pleads and wishes have so far not been met. :(

Thanks for anyone who can shine some light on this,

Andy

mikegreen
02-09-2009, 13:49
answer from Virgin? My 12 month contract with Be There is due to expire in October, and I can't wait to ditch their horrendous 1MB service.
Andy

Do you mean you are only getting 1MB with Be??

As an ex Be subscriber I was on an "up to' 24MB package, in reality this was 16MB.

Was very happy with them and would not have gone the VM route if I was still living at our old place...

Zaii
02-09-2009, 14:00
I'm currently on their 'up to...' package, however during the initial sign up phase, neither BT nor Be There informed me of what speed I would likely get.

Due to being 4KM from the nearest exchange, I get a really bad speed. I've tried every trick in the book to try and squeeze more out of my ADSL service, and changing DSL providers won't help, so I'm pinning my hopes on Cable again, that's if Virgin are kind enough to take my money.... :dunce:

mikegreen
02-09-2009, 15:36
Due to being 4KM from the nearest exchange, I get a really bad speed. I've tried every trick in the book to try and squeeze more out of my ADSL service, and changing DSL providers won't help, so I'm pinning my hopes on Cable again, that's if Virgin are kind enough to take my money.... :dunce:

Understood. Hope it works out for you.

I moved form an area with good ADSL service to somewhere patchy, part of the reason I have gone with VM.

Been over a month since my original order was accepted and am hoping that today will be the end of my long wait as I'm due to get installed (although I have been told this before and nobody turned up)

Zaii
11-09-2009, 09:39
Well, I've phoned the spotter again and he's informed me it's with planning. He informed me he was gunna chase them up and get back to me, but that was a week ago now. I tried to wave the fact that I'd sign a 50meg contract today (my crappy ADSL contract expires in October), but no dice. Any one have any other ideas? Or will I just have to learn to be patient? ;/

jungleguy
14-09-2009, 19:20
Hi There

how many flats are there? If its only a hand full it shouldn't need to go to planning. The spotter needs to arrange a bespoke install for you.

where in the uk are you?

Zaii
14-09-2009, 21:58
I'm in Bracknell, Berkshire. RG12 postcode.

There are.... 6 flats in my block. I'm on the first floor, so they shouldn't need a H+S sign off? Just gutted, and the spotter is getting sick of me phoning him up to find out the progress :P

jungleguy
15-09-2009, 04:45
if there is no construction issue, ie dig up more than 10 foot of pavement to get you installed, he should be able to do a bespoke install. Could you upload a pic?

Zaii
15-09-2009, 09:15
http://andsy.co.uk/junction.jpg as you can see, junction manhole is a mere few feet from the front door. You can still kinda see the lovely green vm spraypaint. My flat is top right of the picture.

jungleguy
15-09-2009, 09:37
That looks pretty straight forward. I'd say with your install you would need the Property Management permission as well as your landlords permission.

I think what the spotter is arranging is for all the flats to be cabled. What would happen is VM will put a metal plate running up the exterior. Behind the plate is the cable.

Zaii
15-09-2009, 09:50
property managers written permission is with the spotter, i got that straight off the bat. As for landlord, i own my flat, so no issue there either. When you say bespoke solution, what does that entail? Are there cost implications?

jungleguy
15-09-2009, 16:47
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. by the looks of things they could sink the cable in the lawn, mount a grey omni on the wall and run the cables in off that. All done under the standard install charges. But the spotter should only release your property as serve.

The only issue is how far are you from a serviceable cabinet? If its over 240 meters then your out of spec and stuffed.

Zaii
15-09-2009, 16:50
Welp, basically everyone else in the street has cable. it's quite literally only our block of flats that havn't got it.

Apparently, when Virgin were cabling the area, they sought the permission from the maintenance company, but did not receive it. I have now received permission, shame it's a bit late.

I'll try and find the nearest cabinet, being dumb, but it's just one of the green cabinets ala your avatar? (hopefully with more innards)

jungleguy
15-09-2009, 17:27
i wouldn't worry about finding the street cabinet, that requires a certain amount of experience, if there are properties either side of the flats that can have cable, I'd say you within spec. Your flats look quite new, I'd say they went up after the cable was put in the road.
Get on the dog and bone to the spotter, and ask for a one off install.

Zaii
15-09-2009, 18:12
I called the spotter again, and told him that I've asked around my block of flats for an interest check. No one in my block is bothered, so I mentioned about the one off install.

He told me that VM would want to cable the block next door as well, to 'future proof' for new clients.

In short, he's gunna speak to planning again, let them know that no one in my block is interested, and try and get a one off install. Not too optimistic to be honest. :(

Gutted, just want to break away from BeThere, and get some 50meg :(

Zaii
16-09-2009, 21:50
Amazing! 50meg is on it's way. Thanks for all your advice jungleguy, appreciate it!