PDA

View Full Version : 50Mbit service, what is the maximum speed I can expect?

Dark Light
02-09-2009, 02:44
I might be able to get the 50Mbit service, and I was wondering what the maximum speed I could get. I was looking on the Internet and I saw someone get over 300Mbit on speedtest.net, how is that possible?

I have ADSL as the moment, and if you are on a "upto" 8mbit line, it is impossible to get over 8mbit, is the same true for cable broadband.

Since I am posting a thread, what speed can one expect to download off Steam?

iFrankie
02-09-2009, 07:11
I might be able to get the 50Mbit service, and I was wondering what the maximum speed I could get. I was looking on the Internet and I saw someone get over 300Mbit on speedtest.net, how is that possible?

I have ADSL as the moment, and if you are on a "upto" 8mbit line, it is impossible to get over 8mbit, is the same true for cable broadband.

they probably didn't clear the cache, im not on 50mb yet but planning too, you'll probably get full speed first thing in the morning and full speed late at night, im on 20mb and im getting 19.76mb

Ignitionnet
02-09-2009, 09:57

You should get roughly the 50Mbit you are paying for. You won't get over that simply because it'd be pointless selling you 50Mbit if they were going to let you have more ;)

The service is actually restricted to 53Mbit and people can and do see 50Mbit of real download speed.

As far as Steam goes that's a piece of string question. It'll go as fast as the Steam server allows, up to a maximum of 50Mbit.

Dark Light
02-09-2009, 13:54
Thanks, that would explain why so many people were getting 50, 51 etc. As for the Steam, I was asking how fast the servers allows downloads.

Also, would it be likely that cable services are available in a new build apartment building, that is in a cable area?

Ignitionnet
02-09-2009, 13:55
Also, would it be likely that cable services are available in a new build apartment building, that is in a cable area?

Not likely, but possible.

Dark Light
02-09-2009, 13:57
Why wouldn't it be likely?

Bman
02-09-2009, 14:17
Steam usually lets me download between 3.5MB and 4.0MB, it will probably be a lot slower if a big game has just been released.

Sephiroth
02-09-2009, 15:13
Why wouldn't it be likely?

Unless VM has done a deal with the developer, the best that will happen in the first instance is that anyone in the apartment block wishing to be a VM customer will trigger mailshot/drop to each apartment. If more than 50% (or whatever threshold set by VM) accept, they'll wire it up. That's what happened at my mother's block.

I don't know what Health & Safety critieria are applied that might foil your ambitions!

on in an hour!
02-09-2009, 15:29

i have seen a few downloading at 50.3/50.4 but the official line is that 38meg is acceptable on a 50meg modem.(dont ask me the ins and outs of why but i know this to be true) ;)

Dark Light
02-09-2009, 22:09
Thanks, I will just have to wait and see if I can get in.

Heather10
30-10-2009, 10:30
you lucky to get 50meg - we have a desktop connected via a dongle and PS3 via an ethernet cable - I am a bit oCD on speed tests, and highest speed i have got is 34mb - on average is around 29 mb. My desktop doesn't seem any fater than when I was on 10MB but we have wired connection now to PS3 so hubby happy.

Bman
30-10-2009, 12:32
I don't see much over 30mb with the USB dongle supplied by VM but that's just a limitation of the USB stick and wi-fi in general. Connecting with cable always gives me 50mb with speedtest.net depending what server I try.

Rik
01-11-2009, 16:57
You can expect the same as me :)

Please see sig :)

crazyronnie
02-11-2009, 19:20
you can get super fast broadband in some new build flats

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7856725.stm

Sephiroth
02-11-2009, 21:07
I looked around in Winnersh, which has a large Virgin customer base (not to mention VM's hub). To my surprise, a recently built large estate (hundreds) appeared not to be cabled but had shiny new BT double manholes. VM missed a trick in its home territory (unless my eyes missed their CATV manholes).