PDA

View Full Version : Draytek Vigor 2110

caph
31-08-2009, 13:23
Is anyone using a Draytek Vigor 2110 (http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2110.html) for their 50Mb connection? I'd appreciate any feedback. I've got the 2100VG and its great so I'm assuming the 2110 will be good too. I'd appreciate any comments concerning the VOIP option and the NAS option since I'd be using these (possibly also the 3G option from time to time).

I'm running low on storage and was looking at home NAS options then saw that this router allowed you to plug in a USB drive and use it as a NAS, and I already have a WD passport which is silent and takes power off the USB cable so it would be ideal. I'm still on 20Mb but if it makes me 50Mb wireless-ready then I'd be killing two birds with one stone for not much more cash.

REM
31-08-2009, 23:28
I didn't know you can use your own modem. How do you register it with VM so it operates?

Ben B
31-08-2009, 23:30
It's a router not a modem

Stuart
01-09-2009, 00:07
I didn't know you can use your own modem. How do you register it with VM so it operates?

You use it the same way you do other routers.. You plug your modem into it.

whizzbang
01-09-2009, 08:39
Suggest you post on the Draytek forum?
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/index.php

caph
01-09-2009, 21:46
I'm surprised at the lack of response. I would have thought that 50mb users would be more likely to be using top of the range kit than budget users.

I guess the free router must be putting people off splashing out on anything better.

Draytek forum it is then ...

Sephiroth
01-09-2009, 23:15
I use Draytek 2910VG and am very satisfied with it. My ideal Draytek (in due course no doubt) would be a Wireless router with Gigabit ethernet so that NAS can be truly meaningful. The 3G option works well enough - but it's very rarely used by me.

I can't be bothered with VOIP so forgive me there.

To my mind the choice of router has little to do with broadband speed and the lack of response prolly bears this out. Turning your argument on its head, I can't see advantage to me of going to 50Mb (others may well see advantages for themselves) - I'm certainly not a budget user; yet I do want a top of the range router for reliability and functional reasons. It seems you want a better router too. The issue is totally divorced from the 50Mb question IMHO.

caph
02-09-2009, 08:09
I use Draytek 2910VG and am very satisfied with it. My ideal Draytek (in due course no doubt) would be a Wireless router with Gigabit ethernet so that NAS can be truly meaningful. The 3G option works well enough - but it's very rarely used by me.

That is a nice piece of kit too, it looks like the 2110 is pretty much based on it. Do you use Virgin for your 3G? I'll be using wireless for my NAS so gigabit is a moot point for me making the N wifi all the more important. I'm hoping that it will be pretty usable over N though.

Sephiroth
02-09-2009, 09:23
That is a nice piece of kit too, it looks like the 2110 is pretty much based on it. Do you use Virgin for your 3G? I'll be using wireless for my NAS so gigabit is a moot point for me making the N wifi all the more important. I'm hoping that it will be pretty usable over N though.
The 2910 is slightly outdated now, but frustratingly, Draytek haven't yet done a Gigabit version of it. If you look at the Draytek comparison chart, you'd prolly take a 2110 over the 2910 because the 2110 has moved forward (like 802.11n)- but not enough for me.

I use O2 for 3G - hence the £7 ADSL2+ line I keep for emergencies on the BT telephone circuit. Communications is vital for me so relying on VM cable is too risky even though I've had a trouble free circuit for years.

As for NAS over wireless, it will be usable but you'll need patience when saving Word files, for instance; and the auto-backups will get you.

JayAy
25-02-2010, 22:45

Maybe this one will fit the bill then -

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2130.html

Sephiroth
25-02-2010, 23:11
Maybe this one will fit the bill then -

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2130.html

Sure - just bear in mind that if you needed dual band wireless N, the Draytek doesn't have it.