PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to network pulling my hair out please help

welshcake
30-08-2009, 20:27
I have today purcahsed a wireless dongle from PC World. I moved my PC Upstairs and installed the CD no problem. When I try to connect by right clicking on the internet icon in the tool bar at bottom right and select connect to network it says Windows is unable to connect to ******network I know the password of course but can't even get that far what am I doing wrong.

Before I moved the PC upstairs it was connected using a cable from the wireless modem to the PC.

BenMcr
30-08-2009, 20:40
So you do have a router right? What make is it? Did Virgin supply it?

welshcake
30-08-2009, 20:55
So you do have a router right? What make is it? Did Virgin supply it?

Yeah it is a netgear supplied by virgin

xocemp
30-08-2009, 20:57
Sounds like the CD may have installed a wireless manager to.
Do you have a wireless manager in your programs group?

welshcake
31-08-2009, 19:11
Sounds like the CD may have installed a wireless manager to.
Do you have a wireless manager in your programs group?

I need to know how to set up a local area connection and wireless connection as I have telephoned Virgin and they want me to phone PC support at £1 a min so forget that.

I looked under the local area networks section and it is blank so need to create one I suppose but don't know how. It is on Windows Vista if this helps.

Kymmy
31-08-2009, 19:24
You can't realy blame VM for pointing you towards the external help line, they haven't supplied the dongle and thier router comes with wireless enabled by default..

It might also help people help you by telling us which dongle you have? (make and model)

welshcake
31-08-2009, 19:39
Belkin G Wireless USB Adapter

Ben B
31-08-2009, 19:49
Belkin G Wireless USB Adapter

Uninstall the software and unplug the dongle. Restart the computer and then plug the dongle back in and when the new hardware wizard comers on put the disc in and allow it to install. Then you can connect to the network through the built in Windows wireless software. I had the same problem with a Belkin adaptor I used to have.

webcrawler2050
31-08-2009, 19:50
Well simple and it really is this simple -

Plugin the device, put the disk in the drive - follow the steps. Windows will make a few noises - open the utility for the WIFI device, select the network, enter the key wait a few seconds - done.

If something else isnt working right click on my computer go to hardware and look for the name of your device

Peter_
31-08-2009, 19:51
I have today purcahsed a wireless dongle from PC World. I moved my PC Upstairs and installed the CD no problem. When I try to connect by right clicking on the internet icon in the tool bar at bottom right and select connect to network it says Windows is unable to connect to ******network I know the password of course but can't even get that far what am I doing wrong.

Before I moved the PC upstairs it was connected using a cable from the wireless modem to the PC.
If you have the Virgin Netgear WGR614 router and you have run the setup CD then purchased a 3rd party USB adaptor and installed its software it is likely that the wireless managers for both items are conflicting.

You need to remove your USB adaptor and fully uninstall the software first.

Then find the Virgin wireless manager by the time in the bottom right hand corner and right click the icon and chose exit.

Next do a pinhole reset of the router by taking a pen and pressing it into the reset hole under the antenna ( the round one ) and count to 15 while still powered on.

When the lights on the router turn back to green go to > All Programs and look for Virgin broadband wireless and choose >Easy set up.

This will take you back through the setup and it will ask you to insert your wireless adaptor after it finds it and installs the software the setup should complete and you can then go online.

welshcake
31-08-2009, 20:32
Does anyone know what Unknown Status Class Not Registered Means,

Just attempting the above now.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Uninstall the software and unplug the dongle. Restart the computer and then plug the dongle back in and when the new hardware wizard comers on put the disc in and allow it to install. Then you can connect to the network through the built in Windows wireless software. I had the same problem with a Belkin adaptor I used to have.

This one did not work sorry. Trying to find my Virgin Wireless CD as it was ages ago I had it, It was never installed on the system in the first place as it was wired up directly so the router in the past never needed it.

Ben B
31-08-2009, 20:34
I meant the Belkin software for the dongle

welshcake
31-08-2009, 20:38
I meant the Belkin software for the dongle

Hi Yes I did use the Belkin software disc and still nothing

Ben B
31-08-2009, 20:40
Change wireless channel, there may be too much interference on the current one

Peter_
31-08-2009, 20:49
Ok reinstall the Belkin adaptor and try either of the 2 methods below.
----------------------------------------------------------

First ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router by the antenna and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 15 seconds as this will reset the router.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method 1
-------------

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.

------------------------------------------------------------
Method 2
---------------

Quick router set up for the V9

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

moaningmags
31-08-2009, 20:59
If network connections is blank, check device manager and make sure the Belkin adaptor is installed properly.

welshcake
31-08-2009, 21:12
Problem I have now is that I don'y have the Virgin Media CD any longer.

Baiscally I have come up with this problem so far.

When I go into the Manage Wireless Networks that use

Then on the right hand side is +Add Which I click on

The onto Add network that is in range of this computer

My network which name comes up in a box along with my neighbours I click on mine and then connect at the bottom and all is says is.

Windows cannot connect to network

webcrawler2050
01-09-2009, 00:41
Sounds like the hardware isn't installed properly

david.pearce
06-09-2009, 19:57
When I installed my Belkin G USB adapter I found that it installed it's own wireless networking utility which conflicted the standard Windows wireless network manager.

Try opening the Belkin wireless manager and going to the "Current Status" tab. If it shows "Your wireless connection is being controlled by the Windows utility..." then there is no conflict & this won't help. However, if it shows a connection in red, switch to the "My Connections" tab, highlight the connection listed and click the "Connect" button at the bottom of the window. This forces it to refresh the IP address as it doesn't seem to recognise the one picked up by the Windows utility. Switch back to "Current Status" and the connection should change to green.

If this works, go back to the Belkin wireless utility and go to the "Options" tab. Under Program Choice select "Use the standard Windows utility instead" and click on the "Save Changes" button. It should then connect automatically each time Windows finishes loading.

Good luck, Dave