PDA

View Full Version : Coax Cable Help..

Leckie
30-08-2009, 00:58
Hey i need advice and i havent a clue on were to look..

So i want to move my broadband modem upstairs but the cable is way too short, so i need to buy a new one and i havent a clue if i'm buying the right one..

So can you help me and tell me what kind of coax cable i need ? i need at least 10 metres long if you need to know that..

I was thinking of buying this cable if you dont mind taking alook..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-RG59-U-75-OHM-SATELLITE-COAX-COAXIAL-CABLE-LEAD_W0QQitemZ390063497390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co nEle_SatCableFreeview_RL?hash=item5ad198a0ae&_trksid=p4634.m351.l1262

BenMcr
30-08-2009, 01:10
Try this site

http://www.dvbjunkieuk.com/accessories-11/black-rg6-tri-shield-outdoor-cable-0-75-per-meter-13.html

Although there are no guarantees it will work

EDIT: That for outside - this is for inside ;)

http://www.dvbjunkieuk.com/accessories-11/white-rg59-75-ohm-indoor-coaxial-cable-0-75-per-meter-12.html

Leckie
30-08-2009, 02:14
Whats the difference from the one i posted ?

I dont think i need outside cables, i think ?

All i need to do is run the new coax cable from my splitter and through to my room..

Kymmy
30-08-2009, 09:17
And running it that far is very likely to alter your signal levels, instead of replacing the co-ax (and the problems associated with attenuation) why not just get a longer Cat5/6 ethernet cable (that can go upto 100meters).

LaineY
30-08-2009, 09:47
aint it against the Terms of Contract to fit your own EQ to a VM socket including your own coax cable?

Ignitionnet
30-08-2009, 10:31
aint it against the Terms of Contract to fit your own EQ to a VM socket including your own coax cable?

Oh the humanity ;)

Yes but so long as it's the right cable all will be well. People in North America can attach anything they want to the cable once it's in their home yet their networks work (usually) so cases of people attaching a new cable to a network and taking down their entire county are somewhat exaggerated.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

And running it that far is very likely to alter your signal levels, instead of replacing the co-ax (and the problems associated with attenuation) why not just get a longer Cat5/6 ethernet cable (that can go upto 100meters).

That run will have a pretty marginal impact, though of course ethernet is the better choice, much more flexible.

Kymmy
30-08-2009, 10:46
Depends on the co-ax... Yes if they used decent quality triple shielded with good quality properly affixed plugs then yes at 500Mhz the attenuation is only a decibel or two..

But most ready made leads are no-where near that quality ;)

Ignitionnet
30-08-2009, 10:48
Depends on the co-ax... Yes if they used decent quality triple shielded with good quality properly affixed plugs then yes at 500Mhz the attenuation is only a decibel or two..

But most ready made leads are no-where near that quality ;)

Just as well most of the internet services are between 295 and 342 ;)

Kymmy
30-08-2009, 11:06
differnce between 500 and 300 isn't that much :p Now if you were talking about HF then that would be different as there's very little attenuation down there, mind you try 10Ghz as co-ax is useless up there..

In very simple terms for you (I know you need it :p: ) any length of co-ax will enduce attenuation (dependant on quality and length) and just a slight bit of atenuation could drop a signal level beyond a useable threshold... No excuse me whilst I go a cook a few eggs instead of teaching you how to suck them!!

:D:D